Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   All About Guns (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Who makes the best rubber (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=200478)

Diver278 07-27-2020 11:03 AM

Who makes the best rubber

What rubber does everyone like and how well does it last?

renepotvin 07-27-2020 12:06 PM

Re: Who makes the best rubber

I've been using primeline for more than a decade. maybe I'm missing out but it works fine.

kodama 07-27-2020 01:00 PM

Primeline (small id) or Sigalsub Reactive or Extreme.
They are all great in my experience and have different characteristics.

Diver278 07-27-2020 01:13 PM

Thanks guys. I have one band made up for my roller and it says prime line on it but the other rubber I have doesn’t say. I think I got it from Hammerhead it’s 14mm small id also. It been in my refrigerator for over a year so I think I’ll just get new rubber for upcoming season.

Diving Gecko 07-27-2020 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver278 (Post 2199526)
Thanks guys. I have one band made up for my roller and it says prime line on it but the other rubber I have doesn’t say. I think I got it from Hammerhead it’s 14mm small id also. It been in my refrigerator for over a year so I think I’ll just get new rubber for upcoming season.

I think the one in the fridge will be just fine but it certainly wouldn't hurt to get a bit extra - especially if you are on your way to Asia.
Cressi also makes a Small ID now. But given that you are still stateside then just get Primeline. It's the "original" and it's gonna be cheaper than any of the rebranded Euro rubber.
(The Primeline I have bought have not been branded/marked and I tend to think that's the rule).

Diver278 07-27-2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diving Gecko (Post 2199536)
I think the one in the fridge will be just fine but it certainly wouldn't hurt to get a bit extra - especially if you are on your way to Asia.
Cressi also makes a Small ID now. But given that you are still stateside then just get Primeline. It's the "original" and it's gonna be cheaper than any of the rebranded Euro rubber.
(The Primeline I have bought have not been branded/marked and I tend to think that's the rule).

Well I won’t be going to Asia this year because of covid. But I’ll use my bands I have and still order new rubber.

MAKO Spearguns 07-28-2020 03:29 PM

https://www.makospearguns.com/Spearg...e-p/mbr-bk.htm

https://www.makospearguns.com/Spearg.../mbr-sm145.htm

Speargun Bands by Primeline Industries - Latex Tubing

MAKO Spearguns power bands are recognized worldwide as the best speargun power bands in the world. This is because they are produced for us by Primeline Industries of Akron Ohio.

If it is not made by Primeline, it is an inferior speargun power band.

Warning: The quality of the MAKO Spearguns power bands is so high that there are reports of persons selling counterfeit MAKO Spearguns Power Bands. That is why we now put our name directly on the bands, ensuring you are getting 100% Genuine Primeline latex tubing made specifically for MAKO Spearguns.

Warning: Not all Latex Tubing is the same. If it is not made by Primeline it is lower quality latex. This due to Primeline avoiding the mastication process employed by other manufacturers by only using liquid latex. Their continuous dip process results in a superior base product with superior physical properties including greater tear resistance

- an essential characteristic in providing strength and performance to speargun bands. When compared to other manufacturing processes, Primeline’s continuous dip process is far more time consuming and labor intensive, but the result is the best speargun power bands.

We use only the highest quality factories and material for all of our spearfishing and freediving gear. But, because we sell direct to divers, instead of through dive shops, we can sell it for les
s.

lidiver 07-28-2020 04:11 PM

Many years ago I run a little experiment where I got samples from many vendors and I build a very crude testing bench. What I was trying to find out not only the force required to stretch and how the required force changes as the band stretches further, but also how the bands retains that force while loaded. Sometimes we keep a gun loaded for more than one hour without taking a shot - will that impact how the bands perform?

The good news is the Primeline was indeed the better rubber AVAILABLE IN USA. It provided very good performance and was stable under load.

The bad news... if you really wanted THE BEST... then I'm sorry but the Primeline was not. You have to go the European route. They use a very different source from the raw materials to fabrication. The results were significantly better bands, but the cost is also significantly higher than Primeline. If you have the time and $, try Megabooster or Dessault rubber (if they still make them).

I'm not looking to ruffle any feathers, and for the record I'm using Primeline and I love it. I actually have a pending order from Mako of Primeline to be delivered this week.

Stefan

Diver278 07-28-2020 05:40 PM

Just checked Mako so I shoot 14mm small id and Mako sells 14.5mm how much of a difference will it make? As far as power and loading easier.

malibujohn 07-28-2020 06:01 PM

Trojan Magnums are my go to! 🎯😉

Diver278 07-28-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malibujohn (Post 2199553)
Trojan Magnums are my go to! 🎯😉

That small ring won’t fit my big gun 😜

Diving Gecko 07-28-2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver278 (Post 2199551)
Just checked Mako so I shoot 14mm small id and Mako sells 14.5mm how much of a difference will it make? As far as power and loading easier.

Probably not much. And they can still vary a bit even around their designated size. A 14mm is often 13.8-14.2ish.
Also, don’t forget to check Spearamerica. They carry Primeline too and will often check the exact sizing with calipers if you ask.

(But they don’t pay the site owner here so can’t really tout their own products but of course it doesn’t make their products any less good).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spearq8 07-29-2020 02:35 AM

That is an easy one ... Primeline repeatedly beats everything I try out.

Diver278 07-29-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spearq8 (Post 2199557)
That is an easy one ... Primeline repeatedly beats everything I try out.

On a Pathos Sniper R 85 would you use a 14mm or 14.5mm small id?

renepotvin 07-29-2020 09:32 AM

The Dessault stuff was made by dipping... that's way way way more expensive and makes really good elastics but they were too stiff and lost power in cold water (32f) for some reason.

Have you guys seen the price jump from 14mm and 16 mm primeline? Yikes, no wonder people "like" the 14...

I do use the 14 on my roller (pink obviously, from mako) but it just doesn't have the ouft of the 16.