Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   California Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Question on Launch Ramps (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=200082)

carrasco 03-24-2020 08:33 PM

Question on Launch Ramps

Does anyone know if the launch ramps are still operating?

Huntersmoon 03-24-2020 08:42 PM

Re: Question on Launch Ramps

Everything closed in San Diego, beaches, parks, bays, parking lots and the pacific ocean. I’m sure a 4-5am departure would go unnoticed.

Bob Ballew 03-25-2020 01:48 PM

I called the Alamitos Bay Marine Bureau to get an answer for your inquiry...Davies launch ramp is still open, along with the parking lot. Suggest calling them before trailering down, to save a wasted trip if the situation changes...562 570-3215

carrasco 03-25-2020 03:31 PM

Thanks Bob

Pfish 03-25-2020 05:08 PM

ON BD, there was talk of a ticket being issued by Lifeguards to boaters out on the water in Mission Bay. Not verified, but who wants to take the chance of going out at 4am and coming back to a ticket of $1000. Dos centavos

carrasco 03-25-2020 07:53 PM

I would say that as long as you don’t fill the boat, it should be fine!
Just say your buddy is a significant other and you’re golden!!!
Unless its Bob- then its your your cougar, ”Sugar Daddy” significant other!
:graucho::moon::bolt:

Mr Main22 03-25-2020 10:26 PM

Mario, I went out Monday morning to Catalina from Los Alamitos. All went well. Good luck!

Bob Ballew 03-25-2020 11:21 PM

Avalon town is on lockdown and they are asking non-residents to stay away....Poor bastards...shops closed, no cruise ship visits, no tourist dollars and a hospital with very limited supplies and medical treatment...a triple whammy..

32Juan 03-26-2020 12:10 PM

We have been asking boaters to refrain from coming to the island all together. We have very limited resources, especially here on the West End. We only have a pair of Baywatch guys here at any given time. That's it. I know everyone is itching to get on their boat and get away from all this mess, but please don't come here. I understand that you may have no intentions of setting foot on the island, but emergencies don't care about intentions. Whether it's a boating or medical emergency, these things are never planned. Please understand that we can't support you. We are isolated, and have a very limited supply of essentials. This isn't the time to go on vacation. Stay home.

Thanks for understanding.

mikelb 03-26-2020 01:43 PM

I've been on the water twice this week. It has been beautiful out there with no one around. I've never had to call vessel assist. And I pretty much have no intention of setting foot on land when I go out to Catalina. Definitely interesting times.

Huntersmoon 03-26-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pfish (Post 2196464)
ON BD, there was talk of a ticket being issued by Lifeguards to boaters out on the water in Mission Bay. Not verified, but who wants to take the chance of going out at 4am and coming back to a ticket of $1000. Dos centavos

True, they also have officers staged at every launch ramp here. It’s doubtful anyone would make it past the 20 surveillance cameras on the bay anyway.
Fortunately the weather has been up this week.

32Juan 03-26-2020 02:05 PM

People don't have intentions on having heart attacks, strokes, engine failure in rough seas, striking a submerged object, etc. Accidents and emergencies happen. Please be aware of the risk you are putting everyone else in with your actions.

Bob Ballew 03-26-2020 02:41 PM

Currently, Orange county ramps are open except for Freedom launches...still, heed 32Juan's request to help keep the islander population alive...fish local where possible..Costco has Blackstone merlot for $4 off a bottle...the Good Wife just informed me she "saved" us $48...

LookPointShoot 03-26-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pfish (Post 2196464)

A thousand dollar ticket for what? Under what law?

I'd tell him to write me the citation right there, and I'd leave to go fishing.

carrasco 03-28-2020 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LookPointShoot (Post 2196535)
A thousand dollar ticket for what? Under what law?

I'd tell him to write me the citation right there, and I'd leave to go fishing.

Agreed!
We simply cannot be intimidated by anyone that feels like pulling rules right out of the air. I always say, “under which ordinance or rule of law?” Otherwise, please stop harassing me and let me go about my business. Especially lifeguards and DFW, they are the worse at making stuff up!
I am still furious about the bogus ticket that was issued to me for a “short bug” by DFW officers Luden and Nguyen. While measuring bugs on my boat and I wasn’t looking, they claimed they threw it back to make sure it didn't die - before I could see it or measure it. Needless to say, I spanked those two clowns in court!
It did cost me a ton of hassle and a day of work but I got mine, straight humiliating those morons. The citation was dismissed without as much as a minimal challenge!
Stand your ground!!!