Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   California Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   California Dive Boats -- the legend of Radon (pictures) (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=129110)

boonedog 11-08-2011 01:17 PM

Re: California Dive Boats -- the legend of Radon (pictures)

9 Attachment(s)
Ron Radon Jr. is really reasonable. Much much cheaper than his brother.

Sasha 11-08-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boonedog (Post 1560404)
Ron Radon Jr. is really reasonable. Much much cheaper than his brother.

She's a beauty! The bigget Radon w/outboards I've seen. What is the total displacement?, fuel cell size/material ? Top end? I've been wondering about your boat, and it's outboard ability.

NPRelentless 11-08-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CitoRat4Ever (Post 1560357)
Looking through this thread again make me really wish I had another 10' on the Sea Wolf.

Sometimes I wish I had 10' less on the Relentless :toast:

I get discouraged from making some quick after work/local trips just because a bigger boat can be more of a pain to get ready and tow to the ramp than a smaller one.

NPRelentless 11-08-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasha (Post 1560443)
She's a beauty! The bigget Radon w/outboards I've seen. What is the total displacement?, fuel cell size/material ? Top end? I've been wondering about your boat, and it's outboard ability.

x2, what are the specs?

Thats a fun looking boat, would love to see more pics of the finished product.

boonedog 11-08-2011 04:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
She's about 9,800 lbs
Fuel Cell is approx 250 gallons and baffled aluminum custom made from Coastline Equipment in Bellingham, WA.
She'll max out at about 45knots and I generally operate from 28-32 on the ocean when they isn't a shit load of wind waves.
She could use a bit more weight in the rear, the outboards are lighter than the other options and there is a bit more flotation with the motor mount. A few pictures...

JRT 11-08-2011 05:32 PM

I'm going to need to get a bigger truck.

sbsurfer 11-08-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPRelentless (Post 1560514)
Sometimes I wish I had 10' less on the Relentless :toast:

I get discouraged from making some quick after work/local trips just because a bigger boat can be more of a pain to get ready and tow to the ramp than a smaller one.

i can definitely relate to this NPRelentless. i downsized from a 24 to a 20 Radon. i didn't want to have to buy a bigger truck (my Tundra struggled to tow a 24) and the gas is cheaper on the 20 as well. all i use my boat for is to get out to the islands or Ranch for surfing so i didn't need the extra deckspace most fisherman love. also, if the weather is bad usually the surf is blown out too so most days i cross the Channel are pretty mellow, but if the weather does kick up it's nice to know the boat can handle it.

Boonedog, that Radon is awesome! Thanks for the build pics, you gotta be stoked on that ride! :thumps:

Skag 11-08-2011 11:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sweet boats! I love this thread.... Put my 1977 24' project boat back in the water after finishing up some details (it will never be "done"). Youtube link to video. Second vid is her up on plane. Full throttle for the last bit - I didn't have my GPS on, so not sure what speed I got to (my bro thought the tach was a speedometer).... Definately a different feel than my previous 9 knot cruise boat. Long live Radon...

Radon Launched - YouTube
Radon on Plane - YouTube

skiff 11-09-2011 03:08 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Last year, I located an old commercial urchin boat up in Mendocino County. Underneath all the peeling camo paint was a molded 16' Radon, built up in the PNW when they had their Port Townsend, WA operation going.... Brought the hull to Anderson's where it was gutted and built back up into the type of boat that I was looking for... We added one foot to the hull's length, and started up from there. I can't speak highly enough of Bill and Ed, and I thoroughly enjoyed the process. In the end, I got exactly what I wanted, my version of the 'perfect skiff', and over this last year all of the little design details have ended up working just as envisoned, and I couldn't be happier.

the bodj 11-09-2011 03:17 PM

man i bet that thing flies with the two yamis!

skiff 11-09-2011 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's funny.....that's the first thing out of everyone's mouth. It's not super fast, maybe 30 knots tops, but it does get there quickly with the two props spinning. I went 'Hawaiian Style' with the twins for one simple reason: I like to get home at the end of the day! It's really a redundancy/safety issue; let's face it, a Yamaha 60 is no 427. The boat handles incredibly for a 17'r, but like all small boats, it has its compromises. For me, the larger boats don't work, and this size is about perfect for what I need the boat to do... still lives in my front yard, my 1/2 ton can pull it easily, super low maintenance costs, and moving it around or whatever is simple. Ed was key with the project, and he knows small boats, so it all came together right.

the bodj 11-09-2011 03:54 PM

i hear you 100% on that. when i was younger my dad had a 27(?) ft sea ray with dual outdrives. one of them hit a reef while overnighting at santa cruz and we had to limp home on one prop. better safe than sorry!

Elwood 11-09-2011 04:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Skiff, I love your boat it looks alot like mine. It doesn't go fast and it cant handle a storm like a bigger boat but its a cheap dry ride to some good waves.

What kind of mileage are you getting with the twin 60's?

skiff 11-09-2011 04:35 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Yeah, well we all know stuff happens out there.... it's nice to have some self reliance/backup. That said, lots of guys prefer singles, and I can understand their case also. My buddy has a bitchen Greenough 17 with a single Yammie 100four stroke, and it's a heckuva package in a small footprint-

skiff 11-09-2011 04:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Elwood-

I think I saw your boat in the yard at Anderson's when they were building it? It's the same basic hull, the 'Bahia 16'...? Mine might have been an earlier incarnation of it when the Radons had a yard up at Port Townsend, WA? The story I got from Don on my boat was that the yard was cranking 'em out up there at the time for use by harbor districts for their workers to repair pilings and do general harbor maintenance? It was pretty thin in spots and Sylvester and the boys at Anderson's had to beef it as the build progressed....It's about 2600lbs with a full load of fuel and some gear, so overall, it's still pretty light? The motors burn about 4-6gph at about 20 knots, which seems to be the average speed I run unless it's super slick out there? With the 70 gallons, I can stay out for three or so days, run all around, and still have a nice safety margin in the tank when I'm back at the dock.