Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   California Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   California Dive Boats -- the legend of Radon (pictures) (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=129110)

Canyon 03-29-2014 06:17 PM

Re: California Dive Boats -- the legend of Radon (pictures)

3 Attachment(s)
I was down at the harbor this morning, looks like the Perfect Light is still looking for a new home.

Listing here:

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/boa/4396459724.html

HEX 03-29-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canyon (Post 1936772)
I was down at the harbor this morning, looks like the Perfect Light is still looking for a new home.

That boat is bad ass!

surfbum 04-01-2014 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 415dvr (Post 1935686)
Sure looks like one or some seismic benthic buoy-thing.
'69, all wood, going to the slam. 3 strikes.

That 26' up in Clear Lake is still around and yeah, it's a pretty spendy deal but it's about as finished as you're going to find on the used market. I don't know who's behind it or rebuilt it. I'd know if I was in on the original if I recognized the cabin but maybe it's new as well. If a guy won a permit in the State lotto and wanted to augment the urchins with crab, there ya go.

Mike or whoever out there, probably up here- I'd like to know the whereabouts of a 26' triple chine, stern cabin, Phaedrus. Circa 83-ish, 2 Volvo's with 383's and fast as you don't wanna know. Was originally built in SB for a guy in Summerland who sold it to a complete headcase ex oilfield diver that did urchins for a few years before self destructing and then showed up with a new owner in the 707. About 86-87 it showed up in a DFG pamphlet about CALTIP and poaching, a fuzzy image of it heading into SF the long way, as in around the Farallons, plugged with abs which were by then a no-no but still led grass as the biggest illegal cash crop until a year or so later.

That "headcase" is named Chuck Cavanaugh who sold the boat to Derrel Stone. BTW, I heard Chuck is on this forum. I worked a few abalone trips with Derrel back in the early '80's around the Channel Islands. Derrel passed away a few years ago. It's said that he turned to poaching to pay off the massive number of bills incurred when his Rottweiler, left unattended in Derrel's rig parked on a hill, knocked the shift lever (no p/brake on) out of gear and the truck and the dog rolled down the street sideswiping and t-boning everything in its way.

415dvr 04-01-2014 10:54 AM

Thanks, Mike. I wasn't going to name names, but yeah, those are the characters. Damn shame about Daryl, he was a good guy in a shit time. Nice lady and a driver that could shrug his shoulders at stuff until then. RIP. Chuck, well... best of luck.
George Radon and I were taking a new 17 with an interested buyer out of the harbor when he and Phaedrus blew by close enough to high five.
I wonder what F&G got for that thing.

415dvr 04-01-2014 11:36 AM

I would have made an offer on this house if I saw it before I built a house.... I get a feeling that there is some wiggle room on the price.... ;)

4K all day long.

sbsurfer 04-01-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beconfly (Post 1936105)
Does anyone here have an idea how a 17ft Radon is going to handle with a 600lb bracket mounted Honda BF200?

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/boa/4389114898.html

This setup doesn't quite seem reasonable to me...

I've seen that boat up close and the bracket Don built has quite a bit of volume for added flotation, which has to help in floating that heavy 200 hp OB. That thing must fly with all those ponies behind it. I do know the seller is quite flakey and indecisive so keep that in mind if you're seriously interested in that boat...have the seller bring it to you and not vice versa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy7 (Post 1936152)
FYI:http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/boa/4395095777.html

I would have made an offer on this house if I saw it before I built a house.... I get a feeling that there is some wiggle room on the price.... ;)

I've seen that PH out at Don's yard and it's cherry...probably has $3k in windows alone. Wish I had a 26 triple chine hull to drop it onto.

SurfSeeker 04-08-2014 09:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Just thought I would post some pictures of the progress...
I have started rigging, and hope to have the "Bixby Bandit" in the water within a month!

Canyon 04-09-2014 10:51 AM

SurfSeeker - Your little boat turned out great. What fuel capacity did you end up with?

SurfSeeker 04-09-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canyon (Post 1940315)
SurfSeeker - Your little boat turned out great. What fuel capacity did you end up with?

I will be putting a 19 gallon permanent tank under the console. I was originally planning on putting a 20 gallon tank in the back box, but I had to reconsider the weight distrobution. I will keep the 20 gallon for longer trips where some extra fuel may come in handy.

415dvr 04-09-2014 01:54 PM

I've put a lot of 15's together and as far as a quick little run to the kelp for calico's boat, it's a sweetie. The bulk of the add-ons make it look purty burly. Congrats!

SurfSeeker 04-10-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 415dvr (Post 1940385)
I've put a lot of 15's together and as far as a quick little run to the kelp for calico's boat, it's a sweetie. The bulk of the add-ons make it look purty burly. Congrats!

415- post some pictures of those boats! I would love to see them.

skiff 04-12-2014 11:19 AM

10 Attachment(s)
SurfSeeker- Your boat just came out beyond insane. Your skiff, along with Kenny J's old boat, now re-done by D. Radon and named 'Stok', are the two trickest 15's in the state, hands down.

Here's a few photos from this last week; weather was off the charts and it was a great time to be out on a boat, as attested to by the completely PLUGGED launch ramp lot in SB...

skiff 04-12-2014 11:24 AM

10 Attachment(s)
The last of 'em-

tommy7 04-12-2014 11:18 PM

C.L. Radon. Looks to be priced to sell...http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/boa/4419532020.html

415dvr 04-13-2014 10:30 AM

Somebody put a lot of money onto an old hull.