Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   California Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   California Dive Boats -- the legend of Radon (pictures) (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=129110)

skiff 11-11-2011 11:56 AM

Re: California Dive Boats -- the legend of Radon (pictures)

4 Attachment(s)
Another solid way to go? Combine the best aspects of a small, organized dive boat with a proven panga? Nate had to take the Summer off to go work as an Indo surf camp boat driver/lifeguard, but he's back now and my guess is this baby will be finished up before Christmas....

sbsurfer 11-11-2011 05:34 PM

Jeff, that Ando with the flybridge is SICK! such a badass layout. the last pic would make a good Cheezit ad. keep em coming. wishing the weather was cooperating, it's been 2 weeks since i've taken out Caitlin...jones'ing for some waves where i'm jumping off the back of the boat.

Scottywotty 11-11-2011 05:43 PM

I love this thread!

Wow! that Panga is really narrow, My buddy has a Panga but it is 22' X 8'
and he sure could use a pilot house on his! Right now he gets around 4 MPG
we've been to Clemente and Barbara on it, very economical!

Steve Madrid is a buddy(Cazadorez) and another bud has a 26' Radon as well, though he is having a fuel tank problem on the port side. its a diesel w/ the built in fiberglass/wood tanks and for some reason he can only use the fuel in that tank to about 80% then it sucks air or gets clogged
anyone have any ideas?

Scotty

skiff 11-11-2011 06:02 PM

10 Attachment(s)
More photos of commercial and sport Radons, shot between Santa Barbara and Albion/Fort Bragg, CA.

skiff 11-11-2011 06:10 PM

6 Attachment(s)
The Greenough 17's and 21's from Anderson are a sportier version of the dive boat concept (though there are some commercial G-21's...), but they're bitchen, commercial versions as well. I've seen everything from single o/b, gas i-o, twin outboards, diesel i-o, and straight shaft diesel versions of this boat, and they're all over the top in their own right.

skiff 11-11-2011 06:41 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Once you get north of the Golden Gate, you see a ton of Anderson's, Wilsons, and Radons. Worked hard and put away wet, they're the grittier cousin to their Santa Barbara kin....

skiff 11-11-2011 06:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It's another world up there....

Urchin_Diver 11-11-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiff (Post 1562194)
More photos of commercial and sport Radons, shot between Santa Barbara and Albion/Fort Bragg, CA.

ha ha ha ha, jeff, that last pic of the 32' radon with the tender standing on the hatch is our boat. :thumps:

alright if were gonna bust out pics like this ive got some killer old pics

Urchin_Diver 11-11-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierra Bravo (Post 1561995)
When my my dad was still diving urchins he had a 21' radon with a stern cabin called the ting ming. We also owned a 30' Wilson with a stern cabin for a while called the San Augustine. It was Winn Swint's old boat that we bought after he was killed. It was the plug for the 30' mold and super heavy. It's actually back up for sale. This guy Mike bought it for diving cukes, but then he also got a 20' radon and works that boat more. The boat I was tending on this summer was a 20' Wilson...what a sweet little boat. Had a 200hp Honda on it and was super economical to run. Handles 1500 pounds of urchins and a barrel of cukes just fine too.

yeah i know the boat. Old school! That cool your pops had it. I didnt know Mike bought it. I know who your talking about.

Urchin_Diver 11-11-2011 06:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My uncle owned the first 27x9 radon. It was glass over wood and they made the mold from it. Had twin 454s w/ bravo 2s. Held 180 gals. Unfortunately it ended up on the beach at San Clemente Island. The navy seals shot it up and painted it

Scottywotty 11-12-2011 12:31 AM

I've always wondered about that boat! See it every time I go to the backside of Clemente. Which has not been much the last couple years. Saw a gorgeous
Sword boat aground closer to the west end several years ago. looked like it was worth over a mil$

Thanks for the info,

Scotty

tchung 11-12-2011 12:23 PM

after 6 yrs and almost 1100 hrs... I am still very happy with my custom Radon 29ft. http://radonboats.com/images/newslet...1/image046.pnghttp://radonboats.com/newsletter31.html

sbsurfer 11-12-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urchin_Diver (Post 1562211)
yeah i know the boat. Old school! That cool your pops had it. I didnt know Mike bought it. I know who your talking about.

This thread is kicking ass!

Jeff - awesome pics as usual!

If you're talking about Miguel who owns the stern cabin Wilson (which is currently for sale i think), he's my neighbor. It's pretty cool on any given weekend i have my 20 parked on the street ready for a surf trip, he has his friends small Radon parked on the street and his huge Wilson in the backyard ready for urchin or cukes and another neighbor (Eric) has a nice Davis out as well. not a bad neighborhood if you ask me.

Tom, your boat is amazing...suuuuper clean rig :up:

chowderpuff 11-12-2011 07:04 PM

Hey skiff, how much would you say the boat in your avatar cost you? Or what would you be selling it for if you were to put it on sale?

Just want a general idea, such a cool thread with awesome boats.

miguelitro 11-12-2011 07:09 PM

I would love to see some cabin pictures please.
Mike