Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   California Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   California Dive Boats -- the legend of Radon (pictures) (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=129110)

skiff 11-06-2012 07:41 PM

Re: California Dive Boats -- the legend of Radon (pictures)

10 Attachment(s)
Surfbum- Thanks for the clarification. Noyo and Albion, both beautiful spots with lots of history.

I've got a buddy, Ron, who's having a custom Greenough 17 built at Anderson's, and Monday was D-Day for the hull to come up out of the mold. Blasted on down in the middle of the heat wave to record the experience...Ron's boat is going to have a 'deck flare' incorporated into the bow area, something that's been done successfully on the Greenough 21 and the Hobie Power Skiff re-configurations that Anderson's has done; makes total sense to me. More walk room up by the anchor/bow, good spray deflection, and to me, the aesthetics are superior.

He's also having 'board boxes' incorporated into the design of his caprail, either for surfboards, fishing gear, or whatever... Nice ergonomic place to sit at anchor and a good place to stand on if you're putting gear up on the cabintop.

Ed added about a gallon of water down in between the hull and mold to hydraulically 'pop' the hull loose, the lift went perfectly, and it's always fun to watch a shiny new hull rise up out of the bright orange mold. The blue that Ron chose for the hull color looked insane, and the hull was moved into positon for the rest of the build to begin.

skiff 11-06-2012 07:48 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Continuing- In some of the shots, you can see the deck flare from the underside, and get a feel for how big it'll be. They'll add some layers of plywood to thicken things up a bit, and then fair it all in.

Also put up one photo of Ed's aqua green new G17; he's got a few tricks in mind for this one. As always, it'll be great to watch both boats take shape in the months to come. :lol:

surfbum 11-06-2012 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A snapshot of a framed picture taken by Frank Quirarte of my boat Maņana during a photo shoot session at Mavericks. Probably 1998 or 1999

CitoRat4Ever 11-06-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfbum (Post 1743617)
A snapshot of a framed picture taken by Frank Quirarte of my boat Maņana during a photo shoot session at Mavericks. Probably 1998 or 1999

That shot is insane!

skiff 11-07-2012 12:09 AM

WHOA!

'Epic' doesn't begin to describe that shot! :notworthy

surfbum 11-07-2012 10:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiff (Post 1711338)
Continuing- The boat ran fantastic, and performed as expected. There's still some tweaking to do on the prop, the motor had to be babied a bit since it wasn't broken in fully yet, and there'll always be some little details that will need finessing. That said, it was a spectacular success, and Nate couldn't have been happier. Nate thought that it was lighter if anything than the original boat before the 'tear down', and at the end of the day, he related that it ran and felt pretty much like before, but with a lot more weather protection and usability for it's new intended purpose. With the expert guidance of Bill, Ed, Johnny, Sylvester, Carlos, and Woody, Nate dug into this thing with an admirable gusto and attention to detail, and he should really feel proud of how well a total re-work project of this magnitude turned out. :toast: :notworthy

Amazing workmanship and design detail. Would like to see it in real time. I own two 24 Radons, owned a 25 x 9, and operated several others including 36 x 10 , 26 x 8, and 27 x 9. Worked from San Miguel Island to Cemente and experienced weather from all angles. Also have a 20' panga which I use for commercial nearshore live fish for the past 10 yrs. LOVE the Panga! However, seeing this construction I'm curious about how the boat handles running in following seas with so much apparent weight forward coupled with the sharp entry inherent to the panga design. I run with a stern console and have to keep a close control on trim running in beam seas. I have a 100 gal.aluminum live tank (approx. 800 lbs wet) fwd. of the console that is the tail that wags the dog when it comes to handling the vessel. I have resisted installing a pair of hyd. trim tabs, but think that these will save me by giving me immediate trim control in following seas. Additionally, with the narrow beam of the panga, balance issues with load, equipment, and passengers can be corrected with trim plane adjustments. I have a friend with a 22' panga and he has sponsons installed along both chines and these really make a difference in improving stability.
Attached is a pic of my panga (in the background) @ Mavericks
Another one is docked in Albion - with fishing gear, compressor, and davit

sbsurfer 11-07-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfbum (Post 1743617)

Probably one of the most badass Radon shots i have ever seen, great pic surfbum. :gun::gun::gun:

Maybe i missed it in the many pages of this thread but how about posting that shot that is your avatar...that Radon looks LOADED with urchins.

skiff 11-07-2012 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Surfbum- Is this your panga?

surfbum 11-08-2012 09:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The Kelp Stalker. Bought the hull from George Radon at the old R&R Boatyard in Santa Barbara. I believe Ron Jr. built the hull - glass over ply. I needed a boat for the North Coast urchin fishery and that boat needed to pack some weight and my other 24' Radon didn't have the freeboard or deck space this one had. There is probably close to 6000 lbs.of urchins in the picture. I'm unloading at Three Captains at Pillar Pt. Harbor.The second picture was taken near Orcas Island in Washington where I picked urchins for a season.

surfbum 11-08-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiff (Post 1744311)
Surfbum- Is this your panga?

Not quite. It belongs to my son Mickey. Since that picture was taken we installed a glassed in foredeck with integral fuel tank, glassed rear deck and aluminum center console. Replaced the Mexican tiller Evinrude with 90 hp Honda and Seastar hyd steering

skiff 11-08-2012 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Surfbum- Do you know the history of this boat? Length, build, dispo today?

surfbum 11-08-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiff (Post 1744397)
Surfbum- Do you know the history of this boat? Length, build, dispo today?

?
Thats "Spike". 20' molded hull Radon. Undergoing restoration. Sweet boat!

skiff 11-08-2012 07:24 PM

10 Attachment(s)
SB- Undergoing a re-do? That's great news. I've got a soft spot in my heart for that boat..........it being the design inspiration for the boat I ended up getting and re-working. Love to see any process photos of 'Spike' (*great name) if you can get any. Do you know the history of the boat, if it was a SB boat or was it built up in Port Townsend or ??? The hull I got from an urchin diver in PA had been built up in WA, when they had an operation up there. These things can come from several places, and have been scattered to the wind it seems since they were first built, though your area and SB remain a hotbed for some of the oldest hulls that are still out there. Funny how they keep getting restored by passionate owners with new life being breathed into them...it's rare that they get so bad that they can't be brought back.

fishmunger 11-11-2012 12:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Surfbum, classic pictures man. Really dug them. Looks like you've picked some serious weight! Love to hear some of your stories...:beer::beer::toast:

Your panga hull looks the same as mine? Is yours a 20' out of Shroyer's mold, from La Paz, circa late 70s? I got some literature with mine when I bought it...this hull has gone by a few names depending who was selling it... Embaraci, Paceno, etc. They made quite a few, I think the 20 and 22 being the most popular. But I've seen a 16 and an 18 out there.

You were asking about how my boat handles with the cabin. I think the same or better than before when I had a center console in it. I've got the weight of the cabin up forward, but its built pretty light, and I've got the fuel tank aft of the cabin glassed below the deck. Behind that is a fishhold/livewell that holds quite a bit of weight so I can get a lot of weight way back there if I want. It runs better uphill than downhill, but does fine either way as long as I keep it balanced and get all the weight as far back in the boat as I can when I've got a full load. I've had over 600 lbs of urchins on it, plus 5 scuba tanks, dive gear, my fiance (the tender) and a bunch of other stuff. I think I could get 1000 lbs on it in good conditions. For what I do, working local and getting 400-600 lbs/day, I think it's almost perfect.

What really blows my mind is the fuel economy with the new Yamaha 70. I got it propped down so I can push some weight, even so top speed is 26+ knots. I cruise out at 16-18 knots and get 4.5-5 mpg. If I run 12-14 knots I can get 6+ mpg, and when I come home with a full load I still get 4+ mpg. I put over 100 hrs on it the 1st month, and I love this motor so far.

I'd really really like to see more pics of your boat, and your buddy's with the sponsons on the side! I haven't seen many other commercial pangas down this way.

surfbum 11-11-2012 01:16 AM

I had my hull made in Ensenada in 2003. I wanted an 18' because the boat was going to be used for live fish, ie tidepool work,so I needed a shorter hull. When I went to Baja to pick it up, I found out theymolded up a 20' in a plugged 22' mold. So it's a 22' with a couple of feet chopped off. My son's 22' is a genuine LaPaz hull -I like it a lot more than mine. I originally ran a Nissan 70 and wore it out with over 3400 hrs running time. Replaced it with a 9O TLDI Tohatsu last year and avg ~6 mpg