Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Three more blackouts! (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=66313)

tmaas 07-10-2008 07:00 PM

Three more blackouts!

Three young freedivers blacked out within weeks of each other in two separate incidents. While they all survived, their mothers made a vow to publish their accidents so that other young freedivers might avoid this killer. Commissioned by these two mothers, Julie Richardson and Chirs Dimond, and with support from DAN, I filmed and produced this 6-minute video for You Tube. The primary goal of this spot is to alert new divers to the dangers of freediver blackout and how insidious it can be. Sheri Daye co-wrote and narrates this in-your-face video for young folks. Here is the link -- share it with a kid you love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBnEIMTrgFk
Terry

LwrKzUndrH2OHunter 07-10-2008 07:11 PM

Re: Three more blackouts!

Terry

I'd like to be the first to say "Thank you" for putting this together. It will serve as a great reminder to always dive within our limits.

(I think this should always appear at the top of the freediving section, or every section for that matter)

Man-O-War 07-10-2008 07:13 PM

Excellent video, thanks to all that put it together

gogators27 07-10-2008 07:13 PM

thanks for putting that together! great work!

SpearMax 07-10-2008 07:19 PM

:thumps:Very good job Terry and Sheri! I am happy it turned out so well. I have made this thread sticky in this safety section. Thanks for the excellent effort of sharing the stories. Coming from the teenager perspective is a fantastic approach and hopefully will be shared among all those "young guns" that think they are "bullet-proof" Great work! Tony :thumps:

jfjf 07-10-2008 07:58 PM

Very well done!

Rinaldo 07-10-2008 09:34 PM

Impressive ! Two thumbs up

GivmeGills 07-10-2008 09:43 PM

Kegan in the movie thing is a good friend and dive buddy and after Mike blacked out it was a real wake-up call to the whole group of Jupiter kids that dive. Everyone knew what SWB but you dont think about that too much when its never happened to you or someone you know. I know for one I am way more attentitive to how I dive because of that incident.

grouperdude 07-10-2008 10:01 PM

i have to say i like how the movie came out.... just one thing its kegan not keegan:thumps:

GivmeGills 07-10-2008 10:05 PM

edit^ but you do realize KOOGER is spelled with two o's just cuz i say so

grouperdude 07-10-2008 10:23 PM

im saying in the credits

zenspearo 07-11-2008 01:08 AM

Excellent job. WTG to the champs for spreading the message that may save someone's life some day.

offduty 07-11-2008 02:49 AM

Thanks to all involved. On a recent trip to Baja, one of the divers in our group had a samba. His dive was neither deep or long, for him. But he tried to shoot a pargo and pull it out of a hole in the same dive. He got lucky and went home to his wife and children.

Chad Carney 07-11-2008 08:03 AM

Great video! :thumps:

And don't think you're immune just because you're older... you might not be any wiser!

I blacked out during the static breath hold part of my Performance Freediving class. :eek:

My buddy - Sheri Daye and our instructor- Kirk Krack pulled me up and revived me.

Another middle aged diver in the class blacked out at the surface after his last ocean dive to 120 feet.

Get freedive trained.

There are many excellent freediving books available too.

Chad

jimdoe2you 07-11-2008 08:12 AM

Great video! When I had my first and only BO, it completly changed how attentive I am to my breath ups and the length and depth of my dives. I never knew what hit me, fortunately I got to go home to my wife and kids as well.

:)