Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Miami and The Florida Keys (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   eating stingray (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=74504)

kwdiver93 12-11-2008 05:35 PM

eating stingray

just wondering what kind of stingrays you can eat? and how do you prepare it

Bottomcrawler 12-11-2008 05:53 PM

Re: eating stingray

Southern are good if you cookie cutter the wings...kinda like scallops

kwdiver93 12-11-2008 06:17 PM

thanks mike

wojo1 12-11-2008 06:33 PM

Go to your local grocery store and buy their sea scallops, thats usually what they are.

stevemc1 12-11-2008 06:42 PM

:lol:You guys dont know what you're talking about. Stingray and cownosed rays are about as good as an old Odor Eater. They really arent the same as a scallop. Sea scallops are really sea scallops. That is a myth. Try one, they taste terrible, they have cartilage running through the wing, and the meat is red or lined with red. The taste is worse than a shark. Cow nosed ray is very red. In other words Stingray is not very good, and if you dont know how to clean it, not worth it.

Bottomcrawler 12-11-2008 08:50 PM

Thanks for the insight, however..... Take the wing, cookie cut it or make small strips. Marinate in milk for 24 hours, cover in butter and lemon slices and whatever spices you choose and bake @350 for 8-10 minutes (depending on thickness). They do have a taste of their own, the scallop comment was more for the shape not taste. The milk breaks down the meat and changes the flavor all together. Just like anything you can cook, the preparation is everything! I have yet to try the odor eater's, any cooking suggestions??

SeaWeed 12-11-2008 09:05 PM

I heard it tastes like fried shrimp. They're just not worth a new shaft.

stevencabo 12-11-2008 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Manta ray wing tip fillets, probably tastes the same as sting ray.

Marcus 12-11-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bottomcrawler (Post 840004)
I have yet to try the odor eater's, any cooking suggestions??

I'd suggest a hammering on the concrete with a meat tenderizer, followed by week marinade in milk, an Italian based sauce pressure cooked, wrap in bacon, skewered, and finished up on the grill with some fresh grated Parmesan.

bluewatermafia 12-11-2008 11:22 PM

i was over at the beach the other day with some of my friends, who aren't really fishermen, and we caught a nice little souther sting ray, about 16" across. we had a small grill and these guys were game to eat anything. it was my first time having ever cleaned one, but with the right tools it would be a piece of cake. cut down both sides of the back bone, use skinnin pliers to pull the skin off, and your filet knife will follow right down those awesome cartilage wings.
we didnt have any spices or anything, but it grilled up nicely, it was pretty good eating, right out of the water, grilled plain.

njspearo 12-11-2008 11:30 PM

damn blue water mafia, i think i am gonna try southern ray now.

FredT 12-11-2008 11:56 PM

The boneless fishes (skates, rays & sharks) all tend to retian Urea to maintain electrolyte balance. Soaking thin fillets in cold salt water a while helps leach that out.

BTW Beware of "round bodied" rays. It's kind of like grabbing an activated Taser when you shoot one. When we were diving off AL regularly there was generally some fool newbie about every other year who'd pop a "round flounder" with a borrowed pole spear. Sure can hear them a long way off when they do it if you're in the water with them. ;)

KEYSKILLER 12-12-2008 08:33 AM

Here is a article on the prep and taste
http://******************.com/showthread.php?t=10614

Slinging Steal 12-12-2008 10:01 AM

can careless about shooting one let alone eating one, but of course im open to trying it.

stallbaum 12-12-2008 11:35 AM

I jabbed one with a pole spear off my dads dock. Cleaned it and cooked and it sucked. No way on earth it would resemble or taste like a scallop. If they were really as good as people say then people would be eating the crap out of em.