Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Rob Allen Wetsuits (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=78797)

Behslayer 02-23-2009 02:56 PM

The NEW ROB ALLEN WETSUITS

5 Attachment(s)
These are the new Rob Allen Wetsuits. Rob made the decision to go with the ultimate in Flexibility of materials and quality of manufacture in all of his Wetsuits. Project KAI and Team Rob Allen have designed, developed, and tested this range for the past year in very tough conditions in Africa and Indonesia. Not all items or colorways are available in all areas. Have a look. These will be in stores @ end of March. Please excuse some of the photos. I'm an M. I wore the brand new L samples for the photos so they're a little big on me in the photos.

Behslayer 02-23-2009 02:59 PM

Re: Rob Allen Wetsuits

4 Attachment(s)
Rob Allen UV/Stinger Suit and Wetsuit Accessories

DarenDeath 02-23-2009 03:02 PM

The "stringer suit" is something that I haven't seen before but I think it's a great idea.

fineout 02-23-2009 03:44 PM

i like the stinger suit idea as well, pretty sweet.

One Breath One Kill 02-23-2009 03:48 PM

They look hardcore.

I like it better when they have the hood attatched to the chest vest

Jimy286 02-23-2009 04:19 PM

Nice.. tho i am socked no camo

kill shot 02-23-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimy286 (Post 895605)
Nice.. tho i am socked no camo

I have not known to many South African spearos who need camo to land nice fish but I see your point.

Behslayer 02-23-2009 08:44 PM

Rob Allen decided he wanted to go with Solid Colors for this range. He chose the Olive Green as a Neutral Color that fits in everywhere. Rob wanted these suits to be from the best materials we could use. He chose the flexible and durable L-Foam, super stretchy Ultraspan Nylon, and either Open Cell or XTEND liner. I wore these suits all year shorediving and doing Waterphotography in Indonesia (yes it does get cold in Indo) and I was real happy with how flexible and tough wearing they are.

catisle 02-23-2009 09:30 PM

those look awesome, what will the price range from?

Blesum 02-23-2009 09:56 PM

Great to see RA products, I like his stuff for the most part.

A little bummed to see that the seams are only blind-stitched. I have been looking for a new wetusit for nearly half a year now, but have yet to find one that exceeds the technology/seam strengths of high-end surfing wetsuits which is what I now use. No loading pad on these suck though.

-Paul

Behslayer 02-23-2009 11:46 PM

Cat Isle, I'll update this with some price input from the USA Distributor.
Blesum, Can't have it all. When we build an Open Cell suit, we don't have too much to hold onto on one side. We blindstitch the side with the Ultraspan and Glue the Open Cell seam and reinforce the joins with Melco. There are a few different seam join methods out there these days in the surf and triathalon markets that involve just glue.. Many of them are under patent or can drastically increase the price of the overall product. Blindstitched and Glued seams are standard in the High End Diving Industry and are airtight. The Foam (Rubber) we use is quite different than the foam you will find in Surfing suits. What makes a great elastomer foam for surfing, is lightness, flexibility, compression resistance. With Spearfishing we need to rearrange those priorities for our choice of foam as we spend time at depth. All of our suits, including our UV/Stinger Suits have a 3.5mm No Slip Neo Loading Pad.

pablo 02-23-2009 11:53 PM

Awesome to see these new RA suits come out! They look bomb proof.

Blesum 02-24-2009 12:24 AM

Good info, Behslayer.

I just hated how my first (and last) real spearfishing suit fell apart so fast especially at the seams. (3mm one piece camo yazbeck) and it has made me very leery of the spearfishing suit market.

-Paul

pirate_diver 02-24-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blesum (Post 896023)
Great to see RA products, I like his stuff for the most part.

A little bummed to see that the seams are only blind-stitched. I have been looking for a new wetusit for nearly half a year now, but have yet to find one that exceeds the technology/seam strengths of high-end surfing wetsuits which is what I now use. No loading pad on these suck though.

-Paul

Couldn't you just cut a piece of old wetsuit in the shape/size you want and glue it onto the chest area of the surfing suit?

Behslayer 02-25-2009 09:23 AM

I wanted to point out a few other differences between our Spearfishing Suits and any surfing suit.
-Open Cell Interior.. you just cannot beat Open Cell for Spearfishing for comfort and warmth. But, it's not a good interior for surfing as it's slippery.
-2pc design. This is nice because it allows almost double the thermal protection on the "Core" and the deisgn is very versatile. For Example, I might wear my 3.5mm 2pc when the water is 70 degrees and then I can wear just my jacket if it is 78 degrees.
-Different Foam.. The High End Surfing Suits you are speaking about, ones with Fluid Seams, are from the lightest, least dense, least compression resistant foam available on the market today. This is exactly the foam that will compress from 3mm to 1mm at 20ft.
-Elbow, Knee, and Loading Pads.
-jon