Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   California Local Dive Shops and Services (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Spear Shack in OB? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=74546)

Reef_Joker 12-12-2008 01:32 PM

Spear Shack in OB?

I saw this on Craigslist. Anyone have any experience with Spear shack in OB?

spear gun dive shop kitesurf free dive fins snorkel
Reply to: (see message body)
Date: 2008-12-10, 4:50PM

COME CHECK OUT THE VAST SELECTION OF HIGH PERFORMANCE FREE DIVING AND SPEAR FISHING EQUIPMENT AT THE SPEAR SHACK. OWNER/FREE DIVER MARK MORGAN IS DEDICATED TO HAVING THE LOWEST PRICES AND WILL BEAT ANY ADVERTISED INTERNET PRICES. MARK ENCOURAGES DIVERS TO BRING IN THEIR EXISTING SPEAR GUNS TO GET SERVICED AND UPGRADED. MARK IS HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT SPEAR FISHING OR EQUIPMENT.
ASK ABOUT THE FREE DIVE INSTRUCTION BOAT TRIP ON SUNDAYS AND MONDAYS.

SPEAR SHACK
4810 SANTA MONICA AVENUE
OCEAN BEACH, CA. 92107

SHOP #619-226-2406
CELL #619-261-9099
HOURS- TUES-SAT: 10-6
CLOSED SUN AND MON

Nerka 12-12-2008 02:12 PM

Re: Spear Shack in OB?

Yes, I bought a gun from him and a buddy has his upgrade there. We both had great experiences and got good prices. I highly recommended the Spear Shack

Silentspear 12-12-2008 11:11 PM

It's true, Mark will Price match pretty much anything!!! Mark can upgrade anything and everything. He is a very experienced and very fun dive partner!! He has sold me almost all my dive stuff and he knows his stuff well. He also does beginner shop dives in OB.

OzZ_ 12-24-2008 09:45 PM

Mark's a cool cat.

Reef_Joker 01-16-2009 04:54 PM

I just talked with Mark on the phone and he seems like a good stand-up, no b-s, guy.
He answered all my questions and was very straightforward.

The ab biller upgrades he described seem like a good option for me as I can't currently justify the cost of a new custom gun.

Looks like I'll be making a road trip soon to get my biller 42 teak and 60 mahagony upgraded and ready for spring 2009.

Chris

carlsbadspearo 02-19-2009 09:51 PM

marks a good friend. i recommend him highly. his shop is small but jam packed. He has alot of experience and can tell you some great stories.

Queer for Spear 02-19-2009 09:59 PM

Mark has balls of steel when diving and he is a VERY good guy and a good friend

Silentspear 02-19-2009 10:03 PM

Saw this post and just thought I met let everyone know. Mark's favorite fish to hunt is Halibut and this month he nailed his PB by about 12 lbs! 44 inches long and 36 lbs. if I remember right.

tuffstuff 12-09-2011 01:19 AM

I visited the spear shack today and I got offered a beer as soon as I walked in and talked to the Mark for a bit. Great little shop there!! I had to stop in and see what the california spearfishing was like.

Nerka 12-09-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuffstuff (Post 1575947)
I visited the spear shack today and I got offered a beer as soon as I walked in and talked to the Mark for a bit. Great little shop there!! I had to stop in and see what the california spearfishing was like.

Mark is always stoked. How long are you in town? did you get to dive?

tuffstuff 12-15-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerka (Post 1576108)
Mark is always stoked. How long are you in town? did you get to dive?

I was in town for 4 days to visit my nieces. The first thing I did was go and see the Pacific lol. The closest I got to a fish was the aquarium.

beargallbladder 01-27-2016 11:07 PM

I have known Mark for several years now. Bought 2 Hatch guns and had several fixed.

1. He is a NO BS guy.
2. He can fish.
3. He is patient.

If you are serious about spearing fish, see Mark. He will set you up and on your path to stoning fish.

sam

wes1502 01-28-2016 12:09 AM

He is good but I would prefer James and Joseph 10/10 times

Grant M 02-03-2016 02:21 PM

In regards to Spearshack. Mark is the real deal. James and Joseph used to be Marks old business. Both shops definitely have quality products and are great. I buy more from Spearshack due to my loyalty to Mark and the slightly more convienent ob location. Mark has helped more divers than I can imagine start out. He stands behind his products and is a funny, talented and humble guy. Can't say enough good things about Mark.

brasspickruper 03-06-2016 11:33 PM

Can't say enough good things about Mark and SpearShack. Top notch, Mark has the knowledge and experience that should be in every spearfishing shop, but isn't. As someone already said, his family owned J&J back in the day. In the spearfishing community he's been there and done that, and he can explain to anyone why he's been successful. I highly recommend giving him a call and going into the shop and just talking for a while. Truly a wealth of knowledge.