Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   California Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   California Dive Boats -- the legend of Radon (pictures) (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=129110)

Edward_Anderson 11-20-2013 03:31 PM

Re: California Dive Boats -- the legend of Radon (pictures)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidework (Post 1898453)
Getting ready for a repower...
I currently have the following: 1989 Radoncraft Cortez 22 with Mercruiser 5.0L, 2 barrel carb, Alpha Drive. Most of the components on the engine are in good shape.

I know its not a true Radon but I have seen some good info on this thread and thought I'd see if anyone had any advice...

Best upgrade you can make is switching to a bravo drive and transom assembly. Either a Bravo 1 or a Bravo 3 for your application, the larger prop(s) cone clutches and more efficient gear cases will squeeze some more economy and performance. The other thing to consider is going to a 4bbl carb and intake manifold if you're going to keep the 305 you've already got. If you're going to go with a new mill there's no reason not to go MPI and fresh water cooling.

415dvr 11-20-2013 03:49 PM

Short of the expense, I agree.

Tidework 11-20-2013 05:55 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm meeting with Greg from CI marine on Monday. At least now I know of a couple of options. Sorry to take up the thread without adding some Radon pics... I'll post a couple once I'm back in action.

sbsurfer 11-20-2013 08:48 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiff (Post 1897838)
I've always admired that Jocomo. Somebody is going to get a good one with that. And speaking of good ones, a buddy shot Bruce's 31 x 10 as it was blasting back across the channel. Said it looked smooth as silk and was just roaring across at over 30 knots. The fact that the girls' hair is barely moving sort of tells the story...

Jeff that's such a great shot of the "Bad Habit" boat (or whatever Bruce is gonna name her). Looks like they are hauling ass in that thing. I love the lines on that cabin!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTA Surf (Post 1898231)
Some pics of the Raptor earlier this year. now a recreational dive boat, a beast of a recreational dive boat at that.

-Erik

Dream boat right there...pretty much as badass as they come.

The wife and I went out to the islands this past Sunday and damn the conditions were nice. It took less than 40 minutes to get from VTA Harbor out to Cruz. We were just out cruising so we went to Painted Cave and then back down to Potato to anchor and have a few beers/lunch. The viz was incredible in the harbor. Top to bottom the whole way, we anchored in pretty shallow and could easily see all the gear spread out across the sea floor. Had the entire place to ourselves other than the hikers that were at the ridge line of the harbor looking down on us. Sure would be nice to get a pic from up there sometime looking down on the boat and harbor. Here's a few shots I snapped throughout the day.

Finally did the 20 hour break in on the new 383 engine and started to really open her up. Got her up to 35 knots and probably coulda played with the trim a little to get more out of her. Cruised home at 25-28 knots getting about 2.3 mpg...pretty stoked on that. I'm gonna start messing with different props now to see which is the best setup for the new motor.

415dvr 11-20-2013 08:52 PM

Aww now how tasty is that?
35 and 2.5. That's scootin!

sbsurfer 11-20-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 415dvr (Post 1898611)
Aww now how tasty is that?
35 and 2.5. That's scootin!

Very stoked for sure...and curious to see if I can get better numbers with a different prop.

Skag 11-20-2013 11:02 PM

I totally agree that Raptor is a sweet boat. It killed the urchin for years. It used to day trip from Channel Islands Harbor to San Nicholas. Day trip 130 miles!!... and come home with 3 to 4 thousands pounds every day. 635hp Cummins QSM11, nitrox system... all business. Bummer to see it drop out of the working fleet.

http://www.sbmar.com/repowers/raptor...ial_dive_boat/

sbsurfer 11-22-2013 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So this has got to be one of the better deals I have seen for a bigger Radon. It looks like the Monterey Bay Aquarium is selling a 32fter that they use for collecting specimens in the bay. So I doubt the boat is as beat up as a commercial urchin boat would be. Rebuilt one engine in 2010...new 200 gal tank in may 2013.

All for $50k OBO??? Man i really wish I had some extra cash laying around. Someone will get a smoking deal

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/4205868198.html

415dvr 11-22-2013 02:43 PM

50 wouldn't cover a fraction of the hardware on that thing.
That's a genuine deal.

briggs 11-22-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 415dvr (Post 1899067)
50 wouldn't cover a fraction of the hardware on that thing.
That's a genuine deal.

Pull those gasseres! Single cummins on a v-drive.
SWEET!!

415dvr 11-22-2013 03:23 PM

32's love duals.
Bummer is that the legs are #2s and redoing the transom for the eventual install of Bravo 3's is going to add 3-4K to the tab, the cost of the complete legs notwithstanding.

I'd fish that girl HARD.

Edward_Anderson 11-23-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbsurfer (Post 1899065)
So this has got to be one of the better deals I have seen for a bigger Radon. It looks like the Monterey Bay Aquarium is selling a 32fter that they use for collecting specimens in the bay. So I doubt the boat is as beat up as a commercial urchin boat would be. Rebuilt one engine in 2010...new 200 gal tank in may 2013.

All for $50k OBO??? Man i really wish I had some extra cash laying around. Someone will get a smoking deal

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/4205868198.html

Is that the "Debbie K" Tom Kendricks' ex boat? Or did his end up at the Stienhardt recently sold?

Nothing wrong with a nice 500hp v-drive on those old 32's. The problem being for a dive boat, the engine needs to be about 9' to the shaft coupler from the transom, that puts it in the fuel tank (which is shot I bet). Better to buy it for 50k and put 60k extending it and adding that diesel v-drive.

Canyon 11-26-2013 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the listing for the Jocomo:

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/boa/4214738704.html

$75k, with the slip...I would call that an excellent deal.

415dvr 11-26-2013 07:03 PM

Ed- if that's Tom's 32 its a H&F and there's a whole lotta weight and miles under her, but at that price it's a damn fair deal.

sbsurfer 11-26-2013 11:43 PM

It is Tom's old boat...and I'm pretty sure it's sold.