Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Any good catches in the Pacific? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=103220)

Miamispear 04-18-2010 11:40 PM

Any good catches in the Pacific?

Hi all I'm here in the Marshall Islands. Any good catches lately? Man are there sharks out here!!

Quick story with no pics. I went to an outer island (no roads and no stores) absolutely undeveloped and less than a handfull of white people. Marshallese are some of the friendliest, and unselfish people I've ever come accross. My spearing buddy couldn't come so I speared by myself on the shallow reefs. I caught a few parrot fish and surgeons but The blacktip sharks did not let me keep a fish for myself. The sharks were so hungry that they followed all the way out of the water.

Amazing untouched corals! Nice colorful clams!

West_Coast_X 04-19-2010 12:29 AM

Re: Any good catches in the Pacific?

Take some photos and post em up please.....

Miamispear 04-20-2010 11:05 PM

I havent posted pics in a while. How does it work here? Also I only have 56k dial up internet on Majuro, Marshall Islands.

West_Coast_X 04-21-2010 10:26 AM

Resize the pics small to like 600 x 800 pixels.
Make a new post making sure to use the advanced mode.
There is a button to upload the images in the tool bar above the text box.
Upload a few photos so we can check out what it is like over there yeah?

Miamispear 04-25-2010 02:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I think I added the pics correctly. Sorry for the delay.

The second pic is my dive buddy.
We live and dive mostly in Majuro but the outer islands is the place to be when it comes to diving :thumps:

Miamispear 04-25-2010 02:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's some more pics. The reef is the outer island called Arno. its a 1 hour boat ride from the main island Majuro. We also trolled some handlines on the way.

The outer island has no roads and the way to make cash here is making copra. No running water and we had to bring our own food. there is one store on island that sells spam, corned beef, and noodles, the Marshallese staple.

"Yard-Sale Josh" 04-27-2010 11:28 PM

Great Pics!
How is the blue water hunting?

Miamispear 04-28-2010 06:12 PM

I have not done any bluewater hunting yet. I caught a 107lb marlin with hook and line. we've also caught yellowfin, sailfish, lots of wahoo, and mahi.

There are FADs here and I've heard some pretty amazing stories about them from the fishermen. I'm interested in jumping in blue water but we have to be extremely careful. One spearo was chased out of the water by an oceanic white tip! The stuff out here is like the stuff you see on Discovery channel:
the Bait ball, the birds on top feeding, the tuna below, and the sharks below the tunas,
according to fishermen and my dive buddy who is a local.
Once a fish is speared the sharks move up is how i've been warned.

There is a hook and line tourney once a month and Marlin are caught every time with some boats with doubles. The blue water action is pretty amazing!

NZ62 05-04-2010 09:12 PM

Very cool. Interested to hear how you do.