Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Northern Atlantic: New England States (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Daily Vis Report Thread (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=112622)

Coldwaterspear 09-21-2010 08:31 PM

Daily Vis Report Thread

This works on a Surf forum I frequent. Basically, once you come back from a surf session, you give a very brief report of surf conditions where you were (don't worry about giving up secret spots, a lot of the surf reports are just "Southern NH" etc).

So, I think it might be a good idea to do something similar here with visibility. It might cut down on the vis threads/hows the vis threads and encourage people to post reports for those of us that live a good distance from the water!

I was in York, Maine today and it looked VERY good for the size of the swell. I was surfing and I could easily see 10 feet. I didn't have any dive stuff so I couldn't tell you for sure but it looked quite good.

msuzuki126 09-21-2010 08:41 PM

Re: Daily Vis Report Thread

dirty 2 feet in Narragansett today

Coldwaterspear 09-26-2010 11:15 AM

Dove the Portsmouth, NH area today and the vis was an excellent 10-12 feet. Unfortunately, I saw only one fish and it was an undersized striper, maybe 24 inches.

My bottom times suck right now. I was out in a leaky surf 4/3 with no hood or gloves and man it was cold. I was lending them to a kid that was even colder than I was, though.

Spryte0 09-26-2010 03:59 PM

Jamestown this morning was a bit rough way out, and the vis was about 6-7 feet. Water wasn't too cold but a bit chilly. Not too many fish out there though.

stripey 09-27-2010 09:38 AM

Dove the north side of Fishers Island on the outgoing tide Saturday. Viz was about 8-10 feet.

gillotine 09-27-2010 12:02 PM

This kind of reporting has been used in the Florida Keys for a while. Use a "sticky" thread so that it always show up at the top of the page.

needgills 09-27-2010 12:23 PM

Hey gillotine,

Don't torture us with Cudjoe vis reports! :D

Qdiver911 09-27-2010 12:26 PM

Onset this AM, see the bottom in 10 and lateral was 12 ! Temp 65.6

dinjaz78 09-28-2010 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went to Beavertail park yesterday evening. Viz was awesome 15+ and what a pleasure to dive in clear water. Hope we will get the same viz on Saturday. Also got nice togs.

stripey 09-28-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinjaz78 (Post 1291924)
Went to Beavertail park yesterday evening. Viz was awesome 15+ and what a pleasure to dive in clear water. Hope we will get the same viz on Saturday. Also got nice togs.

Very nice for a rainy evening. Nice job getting out there and thanks for the report.

Coldwaterspear 10-02-2010 09:37 PM

Vis in York, Maine was excellent today. 12-15 feet even though there was 5 foot swell in the water. Didn't see any fish but swam with a huge pod of bait for a bit. I expected a school of blues to show up any minute, there have been numerous reports of them around here.

Kevin Sheets 10-03-2010 06:45 AM

Viz in Narragansett Bay was decent in shallow depths 10ft maybe, less at deeper depths. Out front, forget it! The surf and froth is full of crap still. Something is out there floating around in little pieces, black and about 2-3 inches long. I couldn't tell what it was. The swells were manageable at a distance, but I wouldn't want to get too close to any reefs or rocks. It will take a few days for this to clean up.

erk 10-03-2010 06:54 AM

viz in Jamestown yesterday varied from 10 to 4 feet depending on depth. it was worst the deeper you went. saw lots of tog but couldn't hit any shooting from the chest.I need to get a smaller gun

Coldwaterspear 10-03-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erk (Post 1294789)
viz in Jamestown yesterday varied from 10 to 4 feet depending on depth. it was worst the deeper you went. saw lots of tog but couldn't hit any shooting from the chest.I need to get a smaller gun

What length was that gun?

erk 10-03-2010 05:42 PM

90 cm