Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Technical Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   How deep on air? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=68420)

Bulit7 08-15-2008 10:11 PM

Re: How deep on air?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis Rossignol (Post 767420)
I don't do pills "Gay Boy" but I will kick your ass in diving everyday of the week.

I will shoot bigger fish than you,

I will dive deeper than you,

I will make more dives a day than you,

Afterwards, I will drink more beer than you, beat the **** out of you in wrestling and **** more pussy than you!!!

Ever figured how to get a beer holder on that piece of shit you call a motorcycle?

You'll never be of Hell Diver caliber, too self centered.

Wow! You must be a superhero! LOL
I'm impressed Louis. Impressed that you can type all that while holding a drink in one hand and your pills in another!
As far as kicking my ass, I doubt it.

Bulit7 08-15-2008 10:14 PM

Edited by Lee!

a.s.alvarez 08-15-2008 10:14 PM

WoW!!! Ths is some great shit talking!!! I Love it

riplipper 08-16-2008 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.s.alvarez (Post 767429)
WoW!!! Ths is some great shit talking!!! I Love it

If you like sh@t talk just read any of bulits posts...they are always full of it:thumps:

100days-a-year 08-16-2008 06:50 AM

Give the guy credit,he's asking questions.If he was as "macho:cowboy:" as you'all claimed he would have just talked about it after the fact.

Giving the "you are gonna die hippy die... George
Irvine" speech has never been productive.

IrieSpearo 08-16-2008 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulit7 (Post 767424)
Wow! You must be a superhero! LOL
I'm impressed Louis. Impressed that you can type all that while holding a drink in one hand and your pills in another!
As far as kicking my ass, I doubt it.

:rofl:

njspearo 08-16-2008 12:43 PM

cmon guys this is redic,
bulit, if you come into the tech spearfishing section, say that you have no real training other than open water cert, and than start asking questions about doing seriouse tech deep diving, the guys who do have all of the proper training are going to urge you against it man...maybe it sounds a little negative but what do you expect.
get the proper training and cut the shit talk..these people are just lookin out for you.

dive safe all.

Bulit7 08-16-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njspearo (Post 767629)
cmon guys this is redic,
bulit, if you come into the tech spearfishing section, say that you have no real training other than open water cert, and than start asking questions about doing seriouse tech deep diving, the guys who do have all of the proper training are going to urge you against it man...maybe it sounds a little negative but what do you expect.
get the proper training and cut the shit talk..these people are just lookin out for you.

dive safe all.

First of all, my background is deep diving with a few dives to 165 and many many to 120-140. I am self trained and have read many manuals and course books on deep diving. I have, very slowly, dive after dive, pushed myself deeper and deeper. I have hudreds of logged deep dives while shooting fish. I am not an idiot that just got certified. My sea going background ranges over a period of 30 some years and in all kinds of directions. Surfing in 10 foot plus seas, freediving, captaining, sailing, commercial diving, etc... I'm no idiot and don't appreciate being talked to like one by some people that feel like the time for their five seconds of fame has arrived. You have to understand the background here. These people chase me around trying to ridicule and discredit me. They are mostly redneck westcoasters with deep sympathy for the Shitalkin Planet. (and don't take this as a diss to the fine souther folks that live in this part of the country). Problem here is I don't take shit. I believe in standing up for what is right and making alliances with people that are trully cool and not by their spearfishing accomplishments alone. That would be a pretty shallow way to judge anyone.

Like I said before. Want to talk to me with respect? You will get the same from me. There have been a lot of guys that have given me good advice. I'm not a novice and am very capable under water and under stress. Props to everyone that answered with camaraderie. :beer:

Smudge 08-16-2008 01:10 PM

Way too much estrogen in here...:D

Mike Edmonston 08-17-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulit7 (Post 767427)
Why do all the unhappy fat fuks hate me LOL

SUGGEST A DIET AND MEMBERSHIP TO LA FITNESS FOR YOU BLIMPIE!!

Dude :lol:

That's a great pic too! What can I say, Food and I have a great relationship. But what really cracks me up is your childish attitude!

Have you grown mentally since the third grade?

Here is a conversation with you:

YOU: "I want to dive really deep with no training and I read some posts online, so I'm ready. Who's with me??"

OTHERS: "Bad Idea, get some training before you hurt yourself"

YOU: "Shut up, You're fat"

OTHERS: "Do the math, and you can figure it out"

YOU: "I don't need math, All I need is everyone to agree with me so I can be reveered online as an innovator and Macho risktaker"

OTHERS: "Do you know your MOD and your target END?"

YOU: "HAHA, You have a small dick HAHA look at my pictures!!!"

OTHERS: "Really dude, learn to do it safely!"

YOU: " I'm a professional and I don't pop pills like you guys!"

OTHERS: :wtf:

YOU: " I'm special, look at my pretty pictures, it's me in those pictures, yes meeeeee..... My preciousssssss......"

OTHERS: " You need help"

YOU: " I'm fine as long as I can mount a mirror on my speargun so I can look at myself"

EVERYON ELSE: :sleep::sleep::sleep:

Humility is something you never learned Lee. Keep cleaning yacht toilets, I think the scrubbing bubbles are eating away at your brain.

Something you may not realize, is that when you do screw up, you will cost the taxpayers alot of money to come get your corpse off the bottom, not to mention risking the lives of whichever deep dive team has to come find you. You will also be tying up numerous agency resources (PD/CG/SO etc...) which would rather catch criminals, than find some diver with a death wish!

I really don't expect you to get my point, but maybe someone else will.

It's not that we all hate you, it's that your reckless lack of responsibility puts other people in danger.

Now, just in case you think I'm talking out my ass, here are the formulas you will need for this dive. Figure the rest out on your own.

EAD = (DEPTH + 33) * (1- EANX O2%) / .79 (-33)

PO2 = (DEPTH / 33) +1 * EANX O2 %

MOD IN FSW = PO2 / EANX O2% (* 33) - 33

END = (DEPTH + 33) * (1- HELIUM %) -33

dagodiver 08-17-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Edmonston (Post 767304)
But I will be more than happy to give you a trip report next time I go to the dry tortugas and "try" to shoot a big fish at 280', that should be fun.

Safe diving.

Actually I have a few spots open next month for "that" trip, I will be making 7 dives like always but you can still just do 1 like last time.!:lol:
oh c'mon now that's funny as shitz.!

safe diving.

Dago.

Mike Edmonston 08-17-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagodiver (Post 768215)
Actually I have a few spots open next month for "that" trip, I will be making 7 dives like always but you can still just do 1 like last time.!:lol:
oh c'mon now that's funny as shitz.!

safe diving.

Dago.

But last time I didn't bring a gun :lol:

Not that it would have mattered, the way I felt on that trip, I would have gladly put a shaft through my skull! :D

It took me 9 days after that trip to get rid of that stomach bug!:bang:

I might be interested in that trip though, where are you planning on going?

Talk to you soon..

Bulit7 08-17-2008 06:48 PM

Mike, problem is you made a lot of assumptions about me. That I have a death wish, that I'm irresponsible, etc. Instead of focusing on the issue at hand, you focused on my pics and felt the need to ridicule. You see, childish comments evoke a childish response. Respect evokes respect. Want to start over and delete or modify your initial post, I will do the same and we can put this bullshit behind us and treat each other with respect from here on.
Your call man, I'll dance to your tune.
Lee

diligaf 08-17-2008 07:08 PM

Built & Mike… this is a very entertaining thread! I’ve been LMAO going through the post.

On the serious side… I understand where you both are coming from and it is an argument that has been going on for years in our sport. Back in the day, before formal tech training or when tech training was in its infancy, divers simply went deeper, on air, in quest of bigger fish with no formal training. Divers learned from one another and were a close-knit group… even with their competitors.

A few died. Some of the names on the list posted by jadairiii died on the wrecks off Pompano. There is one common denominator of the ones on that list that I knew… it was there own personal choice. They loved diving, they loved spearfishing, and it was worth the risk to them.

Today… tech diving technique, procedure, and training have come a long ways. What can be learned in a course with the right instructor is invaluable and perhaps one day life saving. Not only to the student, but the knowledge past on by the student to his dive buddies and friends might one day help them.

Even with training, people will still die. I see a few people out there today, with all the proper training & cards doing technical spearfishing and I just cringe. I say to myself “it’s not a matter of if they are going to die… it is a matter of when”.

Built – I won’t say go get the proper training, even though it is the best thing to do. You are in good shape and a good diver. That puts you ahead of most. If you are going to dive deep air, my recommendation would be – remember things happen quicker the deeper you go, have good well maintained redundant gear (I would not dive a single w/pony past 200’ for the type of diving in this area), never give up in a bad situation, accept the situation for what it is – do not panic, and always keep in mind… worst-case scenario… drowning is not such a bad way to go.

Mike Edmonston 08-17-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulit7 (Post 768268)
Mike, problem is you made a lot of assumptions about me. That I have a death wish, that I'm irresponsible, etc. Instead of focusing on the issue at hand, you focused on my pics and felt the need to ridicule. You see, childish comments evoke a childish response. Respect evokes respect. Want to start over and delete or modify your initial post, I will do the same and we can put this bullshit behind us and treat each other with respect from here on.
Your call man, I'll dance to your tune.
Lee

Fair enough, let's start over. :thumps:

Back to your original question, anything below 150' on air and you are comprimising your safety. If you decide to go deeper, the best case scenario would be to do a light heliar mix or go with a higher helium mix to bring your END down. More important that narcosis though, is that you should shoot for a 1.2 to 1.3 PO2. Now I would advise against using a hypoxic mix because this really adds to your bailout schedule, not to mention task loading by adding travel gas.

A good mix would be 21/35 to 180' and 15/50 to 250'.

If you do decide to dive on air, I would try to keep your exposure to high PO2 a little as possible (minimal bottom time), and either stay within NDL's which will not give you alot of bottom time, or use the IANTD US NAVY air tables with DECO tables on the reverse. An alternate plan would be to use V-planner and write your schedule on a wrist slate. DO NOT DEVIATE FROM YOUR PLANNED BOTTOM TIME!!! that will throw your DECO schedule completely out of whack.

You should also run a separate schedule 10' deeper and 5 minutes longer. This is your "the shit hit the fan" alternate schedule.

Keep in mind that a single 120 "cave filled" to 3600 will give you about 150cf of gas. If you happen to have a freeflow problem, a 30cf pony may not give you enough bailout gas to safely reach the surface without blowing DECO. Either go to doubles, or hang an AL80 at half your depth (120'ish) so you can plan a deco cushion.

As far as deco gas, I would go with 100% o2. No need to go to 80%. 100% is more efficient in offgassing the tissues, specially if you start on that gas at 20'. Generally 80% o2 was created when someone would use a T of o2 and pump up their deco tank to 2300psi, then top off with air to get 3000PSI. No need to top off with air, you shouldn't be spending enough time on the bottom to suck down a 40 of o2 filled to 2300psi.

If you really want to learn this stuff, I will be more than happy to help you out. :thumps:

DISCLAIMER: I am not telling you how to do this as a dive professional, this is a discussion on deep air diving and should not be used to plan a dive by anyone at anytime anywhere.

Safe Diving bud,