Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   All About Kayak Diving (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Tandem that can be paddled alone (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=188083)

Watergator 03-18-2016 05:52 PM

Tandem that can be paddled alone

I dont know if I am asking for something that doesnt exist or not, but I am looking for a tandem kayak that can also be paddled comfortably solo. I recently sold my boat and I am looking to replace it with a kayak. My fishing is usually split 50/50 alone and with a friend or my sister, which is why I am looking for something that can be used in both situations. Also, I prefer a tandem when cruising for the company and extra power. I have read on other forums where people talk about being able to use their tandem solo but I am looking for one that is designed that way. Thanks for the help

MeTo 03-18-2016 09:42 PM

Re: Tandem that can be paddled alone

Jackson Big Tuna, Ocean Kayak Malibu two. I think that is it. The Jackson is $1800 ish. the OK can usually be found used for under $400. If you decide on a solo kayak the OK Big Game II will store tons of stuff in the mod pod. (size 14 Mako fiberglass fins, Cyrano 1100, Billar 42, 110 mid handle and two rods with room to spare) i use rod sox to keep them neat! It has more room then the Predator 13 and 16 pounds lighter.
Good luck

Watergator 03-19-2016 04:21 PM

Yep, those are exactly what I am looking for. I may hunt around for a used Big Tuna but I think the Malibu two would fit my needs if I cant find one. Have you used either of these to give any input?

MeTo 03-19-2016 09:34 PM

No, I was going to buy a OK but decided not to since I have a boat. That big Tuna looks nice but it is pricey and heavy. Check out Austin Kayak on line, they have a great selection.

dirkbeachman 04-25-2016 11:39 AM

I have Ocean Kayak Malibu two tandem. It actually has three seat curves, so when you're tandem, someone is in the front one and someone in the rear one, then when you're solo there's one closer to the middle.

I like mine a lot because, like you, I sometimes am alone, but other times have a friend or my daughter. Also I wanted a big load capacity because I'm about 200 lbs, so throw on my daughter, couple of weight belts, maybe abalone, well you get the picture, gets heavy fast.

Although the kayak will handle this tandem chore well, the tradeoff is that it is a whale compared to single sit inside kayak or even one of the thinner sit on top kayaks. You have to expect to be slower than your buddies in their zippy singles. I don't mind, I'm patient and I don't make major cruises up or down the coast, but just so you know.

Oh, ping the kayak rental places like Monterey Bay Kayaking when they sell their used boats. they have great deals at those time.

Good luck, dive safe.

LANemesis 04-25-2016 02:30 PM

I have an OK Malibu Two XL that I paddle mostly tandem with my wife or friends, but I have taken it out solo plenty.

As mentioned earlier, it does have a center seat for solo paddling.

It's a bit large and heavy to drag around and paddle in/out through surf when solo, but it definitely gets the job done.

TroutCreekMT 06-03-2016 03:08 PM

I've used the Ocean Malibu as well. Went for a paddle with it one over Memorial Day. Not a bad little ride. I'm only a 5'3" female so it would be a bit too much for me to handle on my own, but for strong guys, it will be fine.