Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   All About Guns (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sharing my second gun build. (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=195664)

humpinit 12-31-2017 10:36 AM

Sharing my second gun build.

3 Attachment(s)
So this gun consists and started with ten lams of old growth Burmese teak. It was a shame to epoxy color it but I had my hiccups. It has 130cm of band stretch and uses a reverse trigger mech and handle from Neptonics. Epoxy is also from Neptonics. Weather was crappy but my son shot 1 fish with it yesterday.

humpinit 12-31-2017 10:50 AM

Re: Sharing my second gun build.

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures after assembling it on Saturday. I think it needs one more coat of epoxy but I couldn't wait.

humpinit 12-31-2017 10:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
a couple more

grouperdown 12-31-2017 03:11 PM

Looks good. I like the color.

humpinit 12-31-2017 05:15 PM

Thanks. You can’t twll from the images but it’s it’s got pearl all throughout.

deanmc 01-03-2018 11:38 AM

Nice job, I'm liking the finish as well!

Gettingrouper2 01-03-2018 02:19 PM

Great Job !

triponempa 01-03-2018 09:17 PM

nice - but one thing - if you are going to use old growth teak - why paint it? you can get away with mahogany or sapaelle. good job - I just think it's maybe illegal to paint teak - or possibly should be -haha
good second build - I like the pearl too- I've done a few and it's hard to work with - as it wants to spread on it's own- so I had a hard time controlling it.
Doing it in a cool room - so the epoxy was a bit more viscous - helped me
how did you spread the pearl and what did you use?
I used castin craft liquid pigments and had great results- I have used powder and had ok results.
castin craft makes a pearl pigment that you can add to any color to give a metallic hue to it
I bet your gun shines on a sunny day - just under the surface - it's going to glow like a light saber they look so cool with the pearl
if you are going to do another one with another cool epoxy coating - it will get better and better

apeogre 01-04-2018 12:49 AM

Great looking finish on that gun.

humpinit 01-04-2018 08:26 AM

Thanks for the pearl tips. I used mica powder and each color had its own pearl. It really does glow when seen in person. Not sure if I’m going to do another one like this. If I do, it will be a mix of other woods. I have two more themed guns that I want to start here in the near future to give away as gifts. I wish I could do this full time but I have a stupid job that takes most of my time away from doing what I love.