Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Dive Training for Free Diving or Scuba Diving (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   Best book on freediving and/or spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=182192)

DennisC 05-02-2015 07:36 PM

Best book on freediving and/or spearfishing

Hey all,

I have been looking into getting a book to learn more about free diving and some of the techniques. I have been looking on amazon, but the reviews contradict each other so I thought I would ask the pros! Also if there is another book or the same book that has good insight on beginning spearfishing I would like information on that too.

Thanks!

Namor 05-02-2015 11:51 PM

Re: Best book on freediving and/or spearfishing

All three. Of Len jones books are entertaining and invaluable if you can find them. Carlos eyles books are excellent as well. Secret seas in particular as well as last of the blue water hunters and blue edge. Terry mass book is a good instructional manual.

The main thing is to dive a lot, and don't look to get into performance diving methods before your skill and comfort in the water as a diver has developed .

Jeremy

paolo 05-03-2015 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennisC (Post 2042755)
Hey all,

I have been looking into getting a book to learn more about free diving and some of the techniques. I have been looking on amazon, but the reviews contradict each other so I thought I would ask the pros! Also if there is another book or the same book that has good insight on beginning spearfishing I would like information on that too.

Thanks!

I bought the freddive book by umberto pelizzari. It`s a really nice book with drawing and a lot of tips. It covers pretty much everything, from swimming techniques to breathholding to equalizing etc. I figure, there`s nothing like diving and experiencing it, that`s the best way to learn it. But if you read a book on freediving it`s nice to know how things work, up to anatomy and physiology, and it might help you out with freediving. Take your time when you`re out, breathe up correctly and concentrate on what you`re doing. Do it with a BUDDY SYSTEM for sure so it`s safe.
I fail at taking my time freediving, as I am always preoccupied spearfishing. I would probably do way better if i would spend a day or so actually freediving and working on my form and equalizing.

DennisC 05-03-2015 07:22 PM

Thanks I was looking at the umberto pelizzari book. I dont do much freediving yet but I would like to so I figured it would be good to learn some stuff. As for those spearfishing books. Do they give you techniques and ideas on fishing or are they more like novels?

Namor 05-03-2015 11:19 PM

" Do they give you techniques and ideas on fishing or are they more like novels?"

The information in theses volumes I mention is instructive as far as diving and hunting. If you can't learn from these books you won't learn from anything

Jeremy

DennisC 05-04-2015 10:14 AM

Haha I guess I better learn from the books then!

paolo 05-04-2015 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennisC (Post 2042989)
Haha I guess I better learn from the books then!

There`s not too much written on spearfishing in the umberto book, unfortunately, but it`s not like there can be much learned by a book...gotta go out and try it yourself. Also, check the forum and search for hunting techniques or something like that

snapper1 05-05-2015 06:05 AM

Blue water hunters has stories and some technique. I think it is worth reading and a cool book to have!

BajaPapi 05-06-2015 11:41 AM

Last of the Blue Water Hunters, is an awesome book! ^^^
I just picked up Manual of Freediving. So far so good.
history of freediving, physiology etc.

mattduff 07-22-2015 12:56 AM

terry mass Freedive! good one

mattduff 07-22-2015 12:57 AM

terry mass had a good one "freedivie!"

BajaPapi 08-07-2015 05:06 PM

Yeah Bluewater Hunting is pretty a must have.

cacique 03-17-2016 12:53 PM

Ian Donald' s book, Underwater Foraging- Freediving for Food, may well have a fair amount of material more of relevance to UK spearos but the first third of the book covers, if read carefully, all you would learn on an AIDA 1&2 course and is presented in an exceptionally well formatted manner. The book is not meant to be a substitute for an instructional course but having read it, you will find no surprises in the course contents of any basisc freedive course. The book is not in-depth on the actual practice of spearing and thats as it should be in my view, if you are not lucky enough to have a more experienced mentor to learn with, then trial and lots of error is the only right way.

clambake 50 01-25-2017 10:44 AM

I like the umberto pelizzari book lot of info in it