Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   California Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Little Boat (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=195883)

rysgates 02-01-2018 01:40 AM

Little Boat

So I guess the pain of owning one boat isn't enough :/ I am considering picking up a smaller boat 14' or less that would be easy to trailer around drop in the water and zip out to relatively close spots in. The idea is it would just be super easy to trailer and I could bring it down to Baja if I wanted or up to PV for the day with less hassle than my heavy 18'er. Also it would be nice to have for around here on short trips because it would be a lot easier on the gas. Anyways, I know there are a ton of threads out there and I've read them but I was looking for any updated ideas. Low cost, light weight (relatively), and sea worthy are my criteria. I'm considering a Livingston, but I've never been out on one. Anyone have any experience there? Also a Klamath or Wilmington type tinnie boat which I have been on many times, and my only grievance is that they're not too stable. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

battleborn702 02-01-2018 04:47 AM

Re: Little Boat

Quote:

Originally Posted by rysgates (Post 2160739)
So I guess the pain of owning one boat isn't enough :/ I am considering picking up a smaller boat 14' or less that would be easy to trailer around drop in the water and zip out to relatively close spots in. The idea is it would just be super easy to trailer and I could bring it down to Baja if I wanted or up to PV for the day with less hassle than my heavy 18'er. Also it would be nice to have for around here on short trips because it would be a lot easier on the gas. Anyways, I know there are a ton of threads out there and I've read them but I was looking for any updated ideas. Low cost, light weight (relatively), and sea worthy are my criteria. I'm considering a Livingston, but I've never been out on one. Anyone have any experience there? Also a Klamath or Wilmington type tinnie boat which I have been on many times, and my only grievance is that they're not too stable. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

have a 14 foot livi. it is a great little skiff. currently have a Minokota ipilot 13 gallon live well. 30 hp etec. runs 22mph at 5500 rpm. If your in San Diego you could check out my set up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Xylophone 02-01-2018 09:16 AM

My dad had a 16 or 17' Klamath that hauled ass with a 4 stroke 90 and had great range. Only thing is any chop and the ride gets really rough, really fast.

Lompoc Local 02-01-2018 11:21 AM

Livingston

peripatetic 02-01-2018 01:04 PM

The classic Baja boat (outside of a Panga) is a 15' aluminum car topper with a 25hp 4 stroke. You can get big wheels that mount on the transom for beach launching. Hundreds of Baja fishermen use these rigs.

In good weather you can access almost anywhere in the Sea of Cortez BUT, you need to always keep an eye on the weather, and run home at the first puff of wind. Another problem is entering the boat from the water, they can be tippy.

Rosstnfound 02-01-2018 02:44 PM

Had a Livingston 12, 14 and 15.5 (warrior) I would go with the 14. Super stable and spacious for a 14. I think the hull weight of the 15.5 was over 1000lbs. I think they made a 14 with higher rails. That would be my choice. Certain years, the construction was really poor so check for soft or easily deformed areas.

HEX 02-01-2018 02:57 PM

Pretty much, Whaler, Livingston,Radon would do the job but if your only diving I would go with a RIB. It'd be the lightest of the bunch and very versatile, probably gonna be the best riding hull too. What is your budget?

rysgates 02-01-2018 03:33 PM

I appreciate the feedback! My budget is relatively flexible depending mostly on the quality of the motor. I'm thinking a 15hp Honda or Yam 4stroke because they should be the easiest on gas. I would appreciate any input on what kind of fuel economy you guys have gotten with these boats you have owned. Also I have a stingray on my 18'er do you guys use them on your smaller boats, seems like they would help to keep it planing high and improve economy. My absolute max would probably be 3k but I would really prefer to keep it closer to 2.

battleborn702 02-01-2018 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rysgates (Post 2160799)
I appreciate the feedback! My budget is relatively flexible depending mostly on the quality of the motor. I'm thinking a 15hp Honda or Yam 4stroke because they should be the easiest on gas. I would appreciate any input on what kind of fuel economy you guys have gotten with these boats you have owned. Also I have a stingray on my 18'er do you guys use them on your smaller boats, seems like they would help to keep it planing high and improve economy. My absolute max would probably be 3k but I would really prefer to keep it closer to 2.

for 2k your prob end up with a 2 stroke. do compression check and we trial to see how the boat and power work for you.

battleborn702 02-01-2018 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battleborn702 (Post 2160822)
for 2k your prob end up with a 2 stroke. do compression check and we trial to see how the boat and power work for you.

sea trial. dann auto spelling

Sanny 02-01-2018 11:26 PM

[IMG]0308151427a.jpg[/IMG]
15' klamath, beach wheels and a two stroke 30hp.
good through the surf and easy to launch with three people- been using mine for 7 years. this is her on the hoist at Port San Luis. Well heck- looks like my photo isn't going to show up- sorry

Bob Ballew 02-02-2018 05:03 PM

...If you decide on an aluminum skiff, stick with a welded seam hull....salt corrosion buildup behind the rivets on aluminum hulls will leak in multiple spots over time and are difficult to repair...small open hull skiffs beat the hell out of you in any kind of swell and the margin of safety is poor, due our ever changing ocean conditions...my choice would be an inflatable, probably a rib (more speed), like mentioned by Hex....lots safer on Bajas' windblown waters....

Marco 02-02-2018 06:32 PM

Low weight, easy to trailer, easy on gas and good on rough seas would be a RIB. It's what most spearos use in Europe. Problem is that the baloons take a lot of space compared to a fiberglass boat. But a 14' with a 25-30 HP would take comfortably out 3 guys.

Benny 02-03-2018 12:17 AM

I won't say its impossible but its gonna be tough to find something reasonably seaworthy , reliable and gets decent fuel mileage at 3k bones. At that price there will be a serious sacrifice in one or two of those categories.

If that were my budget I'd look for a screaming deal on a 14 ft RIB and then finance a 30 or 40 Hp outboard. Or find as new of an outboard as possible in your price range and then find a cheap RIB that holds air to go in front of it.

I had a 14 ft inflatable (not a RIB) that I got for next to nothing and put a new Etec on it. With two divers and all the goods it would get 10+ MPG but the boat would beat the shit out of you in any chop or swell. A RIB at 14 ft with that same motor would have been leaps and bounds more seaworthy & comfortable with comparable fuel burn.

An aluminum skiff would be cheap but it will compact your spine in anything over glassy conditions, it'll be a bitch getting in/out of, and it doesn't take much of an event to sink one.

Salty_Lovin' 02-03-2018 02:53 AM

Rib