Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Ike Jime (spinal cord destruction) fish killing (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=108398)

p944 07-15-2010 12:00 AM

Ike Jime (spinal cord destruction) fish killing

I learnt recently that the Japanese kill fishes by

1. cut spine and vessels at the head.
2. cut spine at the tail
3. run a wire down the length of the fish at the spine to paralyze the fish.
4. bleed fish in ice water

The theory is that the spine destruction stops the nerve sending signals to the muscle and fish meat stays fresh longer.

This technique is confirmed by some objective scientific tests. Search for Ike Jime, you'll find a lot of videos and test results.

The best link I found about this topic is here.
http://cookingissues.wordpress.com/2...w-to-pointers/

Does anyone practice this for their game fish?

virgili 07-15-2010 10:56 AM

Re: Ike Jime (spinal cord destruction) fish killing

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I learnt recently that the Japanese kill fishes by

1. cut spine and vessels at the head.
2. cut spine at the tail
3. run a wire down the length of the fish at the spine to paralyze the fish.
Does anyone practice this for their game fish?
This technic is used in many countries by pro fishermen for bfin tuna cleaning and for other kind of tuna...
lactate released by the fish at the time it has been fighting makes the meat go bad...
pics taken off the Canada coast...

settingsteel 07-16-2010 01:11 PM

I've heard thats the way to go (spining) for quality fish, especially BF, interesting that the use piano wire, makes sense.

Bigsurf7 08-13-2010 10:33 PM

It is the taniguchi method! but it is worthless if done after the tunas head is removed! as soon as the fish is brought aboard you want to cut a notch in its head at the base of the spine to be able to gain access to run a cable through the leangth of the spine to kill it quickly and stop the build up of acide and reduce stress on the fish.

jcaulkins 08-14-2010 01:11 PM

i have found that tie wire works best. It is a bit stiffer than piano wire and smooth - you can pick some up at any construction/ builders store (whitecap). very cheap stuff. I just cut length needed and wipe off all of the residue using a cloth and salt water. (tie wire is the stuff we use for tying steel re-bar together before pouring concrete)

Bigsurf7 08-14-2010 02:13 PM

Teleflex cable is what we have always used on longline boats! just crimp a loop in one end and grind the other end with a rounded point and it works better than most plus its stainless

bluewatermafia 08-14-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterman482 (Post 1259434)
It is the taniguchi method! but it is worthless if done after the tunas head is removed!

why is that? from what i read, this technique is used to cease any erant impulses from the spinal cord, not the brain.

it seams that this technique is great for a sushi bar or fish market, but is it really worth the effort for us sportsman?

Bigsurf7 08-14-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluewatermafia (Post 1259765)
why is that? from what i read, this technique is used to cease any erant impulses from the spinal cord, not the brain.

it seams that this technique is great for a sushi bar or fish market, but is it really worth the effort for us sportsman?

It is primarily used to kill the fish instantly thus not allowing the buildup of acid in the meat.If the fish beats around the deck while trying to remove the head it kind of defeats the purpose of bruising the meat and causing stress to the fish! All the comm boats ive ever worked on running the wire was the first order of business before anything else

ameliahunter 08-15-2010 03:20 PM

cool info I never had any idea that was done

landlock spearo 11-18-2010 01:01 AM

I have heard about doing this for snapping turtles but never for fish.

toptuna 11-18-2010 01:35 AM

They say that is true with hunting big game animals. If you shoot a deer with a bow the adrenaline runs through the meat. But if you drill a deer with a rifle the adrenaline does not go through the meat therefore tasting better. I shoot berger bullets so I never have an issue with animals running.