Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   FII Free Diving Instruction, Daniel Koval (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=161072)

rysgates 05-12-2013 12:19 PM

FII Free Diving Instruction, Daniel Koval

Good Morning Everyone,
I am fairly new to the world of spearfishing, and am ready to step up my game. To be honest I am terrible at holding my breath. My static PR is 1:34 and when I am diving I am usually only under for about 30 seconds! I want to take the FII Deep Freediving Instruction class with Daniel Koval, but it's $295, and that seams to be on the lower end of the price range for these things. Has anyone taken this class or a comparable one that they would be interested in reviewing. Are these worth it?
Thanks
P.S. I already posted this under California Spearfishing, but I thought I might get some more info from here.

jstiver09 05-12-2013 03:26 PM

Re: FII Free Diving Instruction, Daniel Koval

I am taking the level 1 FII course in Florida in two weeks. Just a quick background, I have been spearfishing since I was 14 years old (28 now). My comfortable depth diving is about 65-70 feet, with about 1:30+ dive time. I consider myself a safe diver, and never push my limits (in my own opinion). With that being said, I consider myself a beginner and can only speculate how terrible my technique really is. I am looking forward to learning from someone who is 10X the diver I am, and also am looking forward to improving the safety in which I dive.

I probably could have said this much shorter: Take the class, it will help you out much more than the $500 speargun you have probably already splurged for...

flamencoguru 05-12-2013 03:30 PM

In short.. Yes. There is not doubt that you will enjoy and learn a lot.

flamencoguru 05-12-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstiver09 (Post 1826466)
I am taking the level 1 FII course in Florida in two weeks. Just a quick background, I have been spearfishing since I was 14 years old (28 now). My comfortable depth diving is about 65-70 feet, with about 1:30+ dive time. I consider myself a safe diver, and never push my limits (in my own opinion). With that being said, I consider myself a beginner and can only speculate how terrible my technique really is. I am looking forward to learning from someone who is 10X the diver I am, and also am looking forward to improving the safety in which I dive.

I probably could have said this much shorter: Take the class, it will help you out much more than the $500 speargun you have probably already splurged for...

Well said.. Who are you taking a class with?

jstiver09 05-12-2013 03:35 PM

I am taking my class with Andrew from Nautilus in Miami. I bought a gun from him recently and he gave me some of the best service I have ever received. We talked for about 30 minutes and I ended up ordering an Aimrite KV with a Merou reel. I was pleasantly surprised to see that he hooked me up with a reel full of line for free...

flamencoguru 05-12-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstiver09 (Post 1826474)
I am taking my class with Andrew from Nautilus in Miami. I bought a gun from him recently and he gave me some of the best service I have ever received. We talked for about 30 minutes and I ended up ordering an Aimrite KV with a Merou reel. I was pleasantly surprised to see that he hooked me up with a reel full of line for free...

Nice! Andrew is a solid guy! I'm glad you're going to be learning from him!!

Peace, Errol

SDDiver5 05-12-2013 06:31 PM

Daniel is an awesome dude and a good instructor. I was kind of in the same boat as you with breath hold. Now my static breath hold is just under 4 mins and I dove down to 60ft. Worth it.

D

rysgates 05-12-2013 08:54 PM

Thanks so much guys I really want to take it, and by the way… nope im still using my $50 Pole-Spear

jstiver09 05-12-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rysgates (Post 1826621)
Thanks so much guys I really want to take it, and by the way… nope im still using my $50 Pole-Spear

Good move, you will learn a lot about fish body language when you have to stalk them with a stick...

anthropisces 05-16-2013 08:55 PM

I'm taking level 2 in July. I took level 1 about 3 years ago. I've been trying to advance through diving with very skilled and safe divers but I have finally realized that I need to take the class. Now that I've paid the deposit and am committed, I'm super pumped. I'm excited about taking my diving to the next level, especially in terms of safety.

kwtony 06-01-2013 05:37 AM

The real question is, How much do you think your life is worth. Is it anywhere near a measly 300 dollars?

flamencoguru 06-01-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwtony (Post 1835032)
The real question is, How much do you think your life is worth. Is it anywhere near a measly 300 dollars?

Well said... I always say in my classes, "I've love to spearfish and freediving, but I love my family a whole lot more!" $300 is a drop in the bucket!

We have to view these classes as a long term investment, like your 401K. My personal opinion is that you'll have a higher return than on your 401K... You'll be alive, you'll enjoy your family, your hobbies and even perhaps what is left of your 401K;)

Peace, Errol

laguna80 08-05-2013 01:29 PM

Just want to say please be careful and always be safety conscious. Just because you learned how to hold your breath for a long time and dive deeper than sixty feet, doesn't mean you can now do that anytime, anywhere. I know some members on here don't like the idea of pushing your limits in class and then applying that outside while spearfishing. Remember to always dive well within your limits especially after taking the class. No one is superman.

sacha58 10-24-2013 12:06 AM

Daniel is great guy, an excellent instructor and works within the rules that will keep you safest.... if you do as you are taught....

Thin man 11-04-2013 11:20 AM

As with Jstiver, I just took the FII lvl 1 with Andrew at Nautilus. Awesome class, and for the folks in FL, a great dude! I have been spearing for a few years and picked up good and bad habits by watching my buddies and youtube videos, but never learning what my body's capabilities and limits are, let alone safety. Having completed the course, now I know and can help others be safe and be a more natural presence in the water.

DVRJOE 01-11-2014 01:47 AM

I took my Fii from Daniel. He is patient and a great instructor. I totally encourage you to proceed. As for the tools, the two most important parts of hunting are your brain and remembering what you have learned. Its not the value of your tool, but how well you use it! Daniel will give you the tools you need to succeed