Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Spearfishing Regulations (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Recreational Harvest of Hogfish in South Atlantic Waters Closes on August 24, 2015 (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=184787)

SpearMax 08-17-2015 06:13 PM

Recreational Harvest of Hogfish in South Atlantic Waters Closes on August 24, 2015

SOUTHEAST FISHERY BULLETIN
(South Atlantic)

FB15-060
Sustainable Fisheries Division
727-824-5305

August 17, 2015

Recreational Harvest of Hogfish in South Atlantic Waters Will Close on August 24, 2015

Recreational harvest of hogfish in South Atlantic federal waters will close, at 12:01 a.m. (local time) on August 24, 2015. Federal waters will reopen to recreational harvest at 12:01 a.m. (local time) on January 1, 2016. The recreational annual catch limit for hogfish is 85,355 pounds whole weight. Reports indicate that landings have exceeded the 2015 recreational annual catch limit for hogfish.

During the closure:
Recreational harvest or possession of hogfish in federal waters is prohibited.
The closure applies in both state and federal waters for vessels which have a valid charter/headboat permit for South Atlantic Snapper-Grouper.

This closure is necessary to protect the snapper-grouper fishery.
This announcement is forwarded as a courtesy of the
South Atlantic Fishery Management Council.

Relevant copies are also posted on the Council's website at www.safmc.net.

Cracker1397 08-17-2015 07:04 PM

Re: Recreational Harvest of Hogfish in South Atlantic Waters Closes on August 24, 201

Perfect!!!!! August 24th will be my first of three days in the tortugas!!!!! How lucky am I!!!!

AASosa 08-18-2015 06:56 AM

Re: Recreational Harvest of Hogfish in South Atlantic Waters Closes on August 24, 201

Wow.... Didn't expect to see action so soon... No hog fish is gonna suck for a while but if it leads to a better supply and bigger fish then let the count down begin....

creekcruiser 08-18-2015 01:58 PM

too many people
too many rules
:fro:

brailediver 08-19-2015 06:29 AM

It says "recreational harvest". Does that mean that commercial harvest will continue?

FishStick 08-20-2015 10:12 AM

I, for one, am really tired of being in the same regulatory boat as Florida. Our hogs here are massive, and on pretty much every decent live bottom seaward of 80 ft. Along with herds of sow red snapper. Thanks NMFS!

Originalspearch 08-20-2015 08:53 PM

That makes no freakin sense you guys have all the big hogs up there. Idiots they should do that down here. Leave it to the Feds to come up with some stupid shit like that. I mean come on. That closure doesn't even effect me but it pisses me off. The state needs to do something to protect our extreme near shore reefs down here in broward. Compared to when I was a kid here the Hogfish population has to be way down on our inshore reefs. Hell if you shoot a 4lb Hogfish here on 1st reef your the man. Although I will say we didn't shoot 4lb Hogs everyday on first reef in the early to mid 90's. It did happen way more than the 1 to 2 times a year most of the shore divers are reporting now…

:mad:

brailediver 08-20-2015 09:03 PM

We have to run out 30 to 35 miles to get to em. Our days at sea are way less than FLA. We have been pushing aside hoards of GIGANTIC BLACK SEA BASS( mean little bastards too) and massive Red Snapper. Best available science. Bullsh**t!
Filet & release!

brailediver 08-31-2015 06:27 AM

In GA we WILL NOT comply with the closed fishery on Hogfish. We WILL NOT be muscled into BS regulations that are contrary to what we see off of our coast. If the fishery is in peril, ALL harvest should be suspended!
Civil Disobedience

kwyoungspear 09-16-2015 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishStick (Post 2065267)
I, for one, am really tired of being in the same regulatory boat as Florida. Our hogs here are massive, and on pretty much every decent live bottom seaward of 80 ft. Along with herds of sow red snapper. Thanks NMFS!

It's a two way street bud. We have grouper season closed for protective measures on Gag Grouper up north....

Reef Raider II 10-04-2015 08:49 PM

All of You, from the Florida Keys through North Carolina had better pay close attention to new measures being considered for Hogfish stocks in the South Atlantic. They are saying a separate stock of Hogfish exists from the FL Ga line through the FL Keys ( total BS): They are proposing a two month recreational season as well as increased size limits. From Ga through NC there is talk of a four hundred fish limit per year for the entire recreational fishery in this area. Public hearings are currently planed for January/February 2016. Please attend and voice your opinions!

Vic Lloyd
FV/Reef Raider II
FV/Charlotte Marie

AASosa 10-04-2015 08:51 PM

Total bullshit that it's still open season for commercial fishing! If the species is in danger it should be closed for everyone. Worst part is the social media junkies posting up pictures of monster hogs cause no one else can get them.

TheMackDaddy 10-07-2015 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AASosa (Post 2073415)
Total bullshit that it's still open season for commercial fishing! If the species is in danger it should be closed for everyone. Worst part is the social media junkies posting up pictures of monster hogs cause no one else can get them.

rec anglers need to organize a rec. fishermans lobby. hopefully the evil scumbags find the time in their 12 hour "work" weeks to take our bribes as well.....i'm sure they will, just have to cut back on the actual work and divert taxes into their pockets as compensation

Reef Raider II 10-08-2015 08:00 PM

AASosa, The commercial season for Hohfish is still open because the ACL of 49,469 lb has not been met; it's currently at 23,749 lbs as of 09/21/2015. The recreational ACL is 85,355 lbs, and as of the same date they show 243,948 lbs have been landed. I don't have any idea how they came up with these figures for the recreational fishery, at best I think it's just a guess. However the commercial figures are fairly reliable because of dealer reporting and commercial log book reports. The council is proposing changes for us as well, they want to reduce our ACL and go with a very strict trip limit.

I posted here to encourage all fisherman to join the fight in stopping the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council from taking all of our fish.

Vic

Summerland Key 10-15-2015 06:49 AM

Before anyone gets too worked up over the commercial sector remaining open for hogfish while the recreational sector is closed -- look at the numbers. There really are not that many commercial snapper/grouper fishermen remaining in the South Atlantic, and there will be less as time goes by (2 for one permit requirement -- non transferable limited permits). Even less of the total numbers of permits are owned by divers. The allowable catch limit (ACL) is much higher for recreational fishermen, as Vic correctly pointed out. The commercial ACL has not been met, but the recreational has been exceeded.
It is always easier to blame the "other guy" for problems in our fisheries. This time the other guy is clearly the recreational sector -- especially in South Florida and the Keys.