Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Spearfishing in Baja Sur... magic (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=195859)

billder99 01-29-2018 08:27 AM

Spearfishing in Baja Sur... magic

Mods... please don't move this thread... I posted in General on purpose because so few members come to the Mexico forum.

After 50 years as a committed Waterman (comp swimmer, water polo, sailing, surfing), spearfishing found me down in Baja. The underwater hunt has brought new joy to my life.

I live in the beautiful little towns of Loreto and San Juanico (Scorpion Bay). The diving and spearfishing here is phenomenal, and my wife and I absolutely love living in Baja, Mexico. So many stories to tell... every single day on the Sea of Cortez brings at least one moment of amazement, even mysticism.... the Pacific side of Baja is like nothing most Gringos have ever seen.

I know many of you love Baja, have stories to tell, or are curious and have questions to ask about living and spearing in Mexico. I would be happy to share what I have learned in 12 years here, living and building businesses, and especially about spearfishing in Baja.

If any of you come to Loreto or to San Juanico, please send a note to me... it would be fun to drink a tequila and share stories.

nilsonov 01-29-2018 10:28 AM

Re: Spearfishing in Baja Sur... magic

How did you end yup there, and how do you sustain yourself?

billder99 01-29-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilsonov (Post 2160541)
How did you end yup there, and how do you sustain yourself?

I came down here in 2004 to work as Director of Commercial Construction for a large development (Loreto Bay). Once I got here, I realized working for the Developer was a no go for me... they were doing terrible work, I didn't want to be a part of shoddy construction... but my wife and I love it here and we decided to stay and start our own businesses.

It is a very long and crazy story, much of it being involved in saving a "failed" development after the Developer bailed out. It is all now a really beautiful place.

We are still here, still love it, this is home for us.

JJohansen 01-29-2018 12:52 PM

Hey BD, that's awesome!

What kinds of fish do you get after? The nearest to Mexico I've dove was San Benito island and the alijos rocks. Diving the kelp forests of San Benito was seriously a highlight of my life.

This might be a stupid question, but do you worry at all with the cartel violence?

nilsonov 01-29-2018 12:58 PM

lucky man. post up some pics of your catches. shore dives are productive?

billder99 01-29-2018 01:30 PM

Hey Guys, in order of questions:
[*]San Benito: I haven't had the pleasure yet, but diving there is on my radar... you have seen what I'm talking about on the Pacific side... incredible fishing and spear fishing.
[*]Cartel Violence: No, we law abiding Gringos never see it, and it is non-existent in this part of Baja... look at Loreto and San Juanico on Google Earth... both are small towns 80 miles from the nearest town, only one road in and one road out... a very bad setup for criminals... they are looking for good escape routes where they do business
[*]Shore Dives: Not so good for swimming from shore, but there are some fantastic kayak dives near Loreto (1-4 miles each way)... hiring a Panga is the way to get to the best diving, about $300/day including fuel and tip... not bad if you have 2 or 3 guys to divvy the cost. If you come down, I will hook you up with the best panguero in the area.
[*]Fish: Sorry, I don't have much in regard to photos... the fish we get depend on the season and where you dive, but at the right time&place we are great for: Yellowtail, Yellow Fin Tuna, several types of Pargo (snapper), Cabrilla (sea bass), Grouper, Dorado, Parrot Fish, Trigger Fish, Sierra, and Wahoo, all are delicious for eating. Marlin & Sailfish are catch and release, so no spearing, but fun on a rod & reel.
[*]Eating & Costs: Not asked, but we have GREAT restaurants in Loreto (not San Juanico)... you take your fish in, drop it off, tell them how you want it prepared 2-3 different ways, come back later for a Kings Feast including chips, salsa, beans, rice, tortillas for about $6/Person... YES, $6 per person... it is very inexpensive here compared to US/CAN. Hotels are also inexpensive, as are adult beverages... what's not to love?

Xylophone 01-29-2018 03:51 PM

I thought they were against spearing in Loreto. Have you ran into any trouble?

billder99 01-29-2018 09:20 PM

There is no spearfishing allowed inside the Federal Protected Marine Zone (Parque Nacional)... it's all fair game outside the park... plenty of dive spots accessible by boat, more difficult to access by vehicle & kayak but still some really excellent spots.

stevencabo 01-30-2018 02:02 AM

I feel your stoke!

And the peso is around 17:1

Timinator 01-30-2018 10:29 AM

I think I'm coming down towards the end of February for some spearfishing. I PM'd you. Looking at real estate there too while I'm there. Let's try and hook up.

billder99 01-30-2018 10:30 AM

Steven: Even better, 18.7pesos/US$ today, it's been as high as 22pesos/US$... it is incredibly cheap in Mexico right now for Americans, many of them down here enjoying the good life.

Tim: Definitely let me know when you will be here. I live right downtown, I would be happy to steer you to a good panguero or realtor, depending on what you are looking for... and hell yes, let's get out on the water!