Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Make Spearboard Great Again (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=196254)

kingfisherflesh 03-26-2018 04:32 AM

Make Spearboard Great Again

To log in, click new threads and see that less than half of what shows up on a spearfishing website is actual discussion about spearfishing is disheartening.

I didn't register on this site to read, or participate in outlandish political discussions.

Just asking that there might be a way to block the bullshit so we can actually discuss spearfishing instead of watching a handful of people preach to themselves. There are plenty of forums for that crap. Spearfishing forums are far and few between.

Cheers 🍻

kodama 03-26-2018 07:50 AM

Re: Make Spearboard Great Again

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfisherflesh (Post 2164200)
To log in, click new threads and see that less than half of what shows up on a spearfishing website is actual discussion about spearfishing is disheartening.

I didn't register on this site to read, or participate in outlandish political discussions.

Just asking that there might be a way to block the bullshit so we can actually discuss spearfishing instead of watching a handful of people preach to themselves. There are plenty of forums for that crap. Spearfishing forums are far and few between.

Cheers [emoji482]

Thanks for the initiative!
Indeed we need to have a way of disabling the politics and religion treads. For all I am concerned this section could be deleted integrally.

It is amazing the amount of disturbing posts we are confronted with. Even if you don’t open or read them we still need to wade trough images and headlines if you use the ‘new posts’ page.

We should ask ourselves this simple question:
Is this how we would like to be perceived by the rest of the world as a spearfishing community?
This is an open forum remember.

Administration STEP UP please

I look forward to a public reply from the admins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jersymudsniper 03-26-2018 09:14 AM

Sign me up when you figure it out. I go off facebook because my blood is boiling. Log on here to read or see pics about spearfishing. Then i see the most stupid shiz like how white people are racist ect ect. And my blood boils again.

Polespearo 03-26-2018 01:14 PM

Yes. There is a way.... its called spearing forum!

jfjf 03-26-2018 01:44 PM

I think the viability of the forum is more closely associated with members sharing Spearfishing related content rather than banning political topics.

I’m always surprised we don’t see more dive videos now that GoPro is so common, possibly people feel it is too much work for too little positive feedback.

I too have been offended by some of the unwarranted personal attacks and all too often people resort to name calling, but most of it should be contained in the off topic forum categories, so avoiding it should not be that tiresome.

Birdman 03-26-2018 01:58 PM

I agree. I'm pretty sure that's the reason the fresh water board fell off. I for one think it's ridiculous. I had messages with the owner of this site about it 3 + years ago, but I don't think he wanted any change.

Maybe he can tell us why it's important for him to have political and religious topics on a spearfishing Forum website?

SEATUX 03-26-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birdman (Post 2164229)
I agree. I'm pretty sure that's the reason the fresh water board fell off. I for one think it's ridiculous. I had messages with the owner of this site about it 3 + years ago, but I don't think he wanted any change.

Maybe he can tell us why it's important for him to have political and religious topics on a spearfishing Forum website?

Driven by Money;
The number of postings are an indicator of the traffic the board sees, and a high traffic board can command a higher advertizing rate...He not only tolerates the BS, but instigates it, look at his posts on global warming..he is "playing to his base" because he knows it will stimulate the anger and number of posts.
At least that is my take, tho I am sure he will disagree.

Marcus 03-26-2018 08:47 PM

Seatux is right. But, I'm amazed at the amount of protest. One can easily see that a post is from the PnR section. To click on it and complain is like standing at the salad bar complaining about the existence of lettuce. Every time I'm online I see links I don't want to read and somehow I don't read them. WTH, over?
This board was pre Facebook. FB really soaked up a lot of the membership. Now that everyone is realizing how intrusive and used they were by FB, I see a resurgence to boards like this.

Tyson Brown 03-26-2018 09:54 PM

I do think the ability to craft a "new posts" search to mute certain forums would be a nice feature.

The closest you could come right now is to subscribe to every forum except the ones you don't want to see

CuzzA 03-26-2018 11:14 PM

On many boards the off topic sub forums are not part of the main forum. Some are opt in only. Some also block search engines. I like those features.

Then there are sites where it works just like Spearboard. Like the Hull Truth for example.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/

kingfisherflesh 03-26-2018 11:51 PM

Listen. I don't care if I or anyone else is offended. But don't clutter my newsfeed of spearfishing with this bullshit. If there's a way to block it, let me know. I'm not tech savvy, but this isn't really a spearfishing website anymore.

Behslayer 03-27-2018 12:18 AM

Would be nice to have a feature which enabled the user to block some sections. Might benefit everyone?

kingfisherflesh 03-27-2018 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Behslayer (Post 2164293)
Would be nice to have a feature which enabled the user to block some sections. Might benefit everyone?

Bingo

nilsonov 03-27-2018 06:31 AM

How about the Politics/Rel Forum not showing up on the "New Posts" list?

2fishin2 03-27-2018 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilsonov (Post 2164295)
How about the Politics/Rel Forum not showing up on the "New Posts" list?

Great idea but then it might not get as many clciks and cut down on the owners income. Face it the owner(s) of this board dont give a rats butt about anything or anybody but themselves and money.