Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   2009 KLO Key Largo Blue Storm Tournament - November 7-8 (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=207)
-   -   KLO Updated Rules and Discussion (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=94807)

biggsy 10-27-2009 02:49 PM

KLO Updated Rules and Discussion

1 Attachment(s)
Due to recent regulatory changes with Grouper and Amberjack we have had to change the rules of the upcoming Key Largo Open on November 7.

Please note some of the key rule changes and clarifications below:

1. Only (1) gag or black grouper can be turned in. Grouper must be 24" min. This rule change was implemented for the new grouper rules implemented in Atlantic Federal Waters. Grouper Bulletin

2. No Greater Amberjack can be turned in. This rule change was implemented for the new Greater Amberjack closure implemented in Gulf Federal Waters. All other jacks, cobia or barracuda may be turned in.

3. Barracuda can now be turned in.

4. There is a new category for a "Wild Card Fish". You may turn in any fish that fits into any of the allowable species for the tournament. Grouper, Snapper, Hog, Flounder, Triggerfish, Sheepshead, Barracuda, Cobia and any other Jack other than Amberjack. You may not turn in a second gag or black.

5. The maximum number of fish that a contestant can potentially enter is nine (9) including the wild card fish.

Please familiarize yourself with all of the minimum size requirements. They may vary from your local regulations.

Note: fish measurement is measured to fork or overall as required by the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission no matter where the fish was harvested. Jacks, Cobia,Triggerfish and Hogfish are measured to the fork.

Note: If there is any question as to size or bag limits of an unlisted species, the latest Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission regulations will be used.

Please see a copy of the new rules attached to this post.

We will assess all of the new regulations for the series next season so we don't know how many fish will be turned in or even what species. At the rate things are changing, we might be lucky to shoot grunts.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to post them to this thread.

SpearMax 10-27-2009 07:52 PM

Re: KLO Updated Rules and Discussion

Thanks John for posting this up. These are VERY important changes to the Key Largo Open tournament rules. I will post an announcement in every Florida forum. Tony

headhunter561 10-28-2009 09:54 AM

Nice job making the best of the crappy hand our government has dealt us!

a few suggestions for next season, IMHO:

1) Make cobia its own category. Most of us consider them much more of a quality fish that the others it is grouped with.

2) Add Kingfish to the wild card fish category, since they are prevalent in the gulf and the east coast (this could be done for the upcoming KLO too)

3) This last one is a long shot, since they aren't technically speared, but what about allowing one lobster to be weighed? There are lobster in the gulf as well as the east coast. They aren't as common in the gulf but we dont get monster hogs and stuff.

scubajobert 10-28-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headhunter561 (Post 1079480)

1) Make cobia its own category. Most of us consider them much more of a quality fish that the others it is grouped with.

2) Add Kingfish to the wild card fish category, since they are prevalent in the gulf and the east coast (this could be done for the upcoming KLO too)

3) This last one is a long shot, since they aren't technically speared, but what about allowing one lobster to be weighed? There are lobster in the gulf as well as the east coast. They aren't as common in the gulf but we dont get monster hogs and stuff.

:stupid::D:thumps:

keezdiver 10-28-2009 10:48 AM

making cobia their own category puts those of us that don't have them often at a major disadvantage. i've got over 2500 dives in the keys...never seen a cobia...NEVER.

the barracuda and AJ thing is gonna make it interesting!!!

SpearMax 10-28-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keezdiver (Post 1079524)
making cobia their own category puts those of us that don't have them often at a major disadvantage. i've got over 2500 dives in the keys...never seen a cobia...NEVER.

the barracuda and AJ thing is gonna make it interesting!!!

Hmm....I think cobia should stay in the jack category Rob due to the regionality reason Jeff is stating. Dealing with closures is tricky, but I must say that the wild card fish idea that Biggsy came up with is really creative. Adding cuda also levels the playing field for most areas. These changes will certainly make the game more interesting. ;) :cool:

ny_er 10-28-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keezdiver (Post 1079524)

couldn't you just dive on the gulf side?

Scubadood 10-28-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubajobert (Post 1079507)
:stupid::D:thumps:

Jobert is licking his chops , Lobster ,oh ja , Iam in,lol

biggsy 10-28-2009 12:35 PM

Keep dreamin' boys, it's not going to happen for this tournament.

It might be something to consider as a wild card entry for future PBOs or KLOs.

headhunter561 10-28-2009 01:42 PM

OK, worth a shot. I still dont see why kings arent included...

On another note, the way I am reading the rules, you could weigh a red or scamp for your grouper, and a gag or black as the wild card fish. Is this correct?

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...y561/rules.jpg

biggsy 10-28-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headhunter561 (Post 1079659)
OK, worth a shot. I still dont see why kings arent included...

On another note, the way I am reading the rules, you could weigh a red or scamp for your grouper, and a gag or black as the wild card fish. Is this correct?

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...y561/rules.jpg

We have tossed around the idea of other pelagics, we just haven't implemented anything as of yet. This is the first time the tournament is allowing barracuda.

Correct, however the largest grouper weighed will go into your grouper category. The smaller grouper will fit into the wild card spot, it just can't be a second black or gag.

There won't be a separate trophy for the wild card fish, that's why the larger fish will go under it's own category (grouper, snapper, etc.)

headhunter561 10-28-2009 02:18 PM

Cool, thank you for the clarification John. I appreciate all your hard work and dedication, I know it can be a thankless job.

Scubadood 10-28-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headhunter561 (Post 1079480)

I have A SUGGESTION !!!!!!!

To make things some what fair ,how about adding Margates into the HogFish
and Flounder catagory.The west coast guys can get the monster hogs ,
so we should be able to get monster Margates.
This seems to be fair ,No AJ's for them and Margates for us .
Now we have an even playing field.
Just my 2 cents

FreedivinFool 10-28-2009 03:31 PM

I'm not totally understanding the wild card fish category. Do you have to enter a specific fish? Or do you just weigh all your fish in and get lucky by having the biggest fish species chosen for the wild card? thanks a lot, Dane

biggsy 10-28-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpearRiffe (Post 1079741)
I'm not totally understanding the wild card fish category. Do you have to enter a specific fish? Or do you just weigh all your fish in and get lucky by having the biggest fish species chosen for the wild card? thanks a lot, Dane

You can enter any fish in the wild card fish category.

Here are a couple of examples:

If you shoot eight fish (1) grouper, (2) snapper, (2) hogfish or flounder, (2) sheepshead or trigger, (1) cobia, jack or barracuda, you can then shoot another fish for the wild card fish category...and it could be any of the above, your choice for a total of (9) fish.

You could shoot (2) hogfish and your wild card fish could be a 3rd hogfish.

You could shoot (1) grouper and your wild card fish could be a 2nd grouper as long as it isn't a second black or gag, only one of those are allowed to be weighed.

The wild card fish isn't just limited to these examples. In any instance the wild card fish works as an overflow category for all of the standard categories.