Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Just got back from altitude (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=138141)

Zbass 12-24-2011 01:11 AM

Just got back from altitude

I just got back yesterday from Lake Tahoe on a snowboarding trip. I was up there for about 5 days and I heard that it can be very dangerous to go from a high altitudes to high pressure or visa versa. Does anyone know how long your supposed to wait to dive after being up in high altitudes for a while? Thanks!

SpearoTastic 12-24-2011 01:31 AM

Re: Just got back from altitude

You'll be fine.

It is the other way around that you have to watch out for.

I'm no pro, but decompression is required and compression is not.

spearhunter11 12-24-2011 06:13 AM

Wait a day for safe measures!

mepps1 12-25-2011 07:57 PM

No worries. It's going the other way that can kill you. Dive away!

POL 12-26-2011 05:44 PM

The only danger I am aware of in regard from high altitude to low is in a commercial airliner, and the ability of dry air to dehydrate you.
As long as you are hydrated, there is no known or suspected factor to put you at higher risk of DCS by going from high altitude to low.

SteveK 12-27-2011 09:27 AM

There is no problem at all. The only thing you can't do is go from diving to altitude. After diving, your limit is 3000'. That's all. I am a NAUI instructor.

arice 03-21-2012 06:53 PM

What they all said. Somewhere around here I have a PADI "Altitude Diver" cert. It basically amounts to learning to be even more conservative in your bottom time. Nice to know if you're going to dive IN Lake Tahoe instead of snowboarding, but going from up high to down low doesn't carry any particular risk.

ColoSpearo 04-06-2012 05:47 PM

Free dive or Scuba? I live in Denver and frequently go to sea level and jump right in, either scuba or freedive. When freediving at sea level this past week I literally ran from the boat to a taxi, took a shower at the hotel and ran to the airport to fly back home. From the water to takeoff in 2.5 hours. No worries at all. In fact, that picture to the left there was taken 2.5 hours before my plane took off.

What you can't do is scuba and then fly commercial....I give it 24 hours from scuba to takeoff.

kevtegr8 04-11-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoSpearo (Post 1634829)
Free dive or Scuba? I live in Denver and frequently go to sea level and jump right in, either scuba or freedive. When freediving at sea level this past week I literally ran from the boat to a taxi, took a shower at the hotel and ran to the airport to fly back home. From the water to takeoff in 2.5 hours. No worries at all. In fact, that picture to the left there was taken 2.5 hours before my plane took off.

What you can't do is scuba and then fly commercial....I give it 24 hours from scuba to takeoff.

What did you do with your fish with only 2.5 hours?

ColoSpearo 04-11-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevtegr8 (Post 1636572)
What did you do with your fish with only 2.5 hours?

I fed a Mexican family with them. The boat captains family to be exact. :-)