Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   2009 PBO Palm Beach Blue Storm Open - July 25-26 (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   GIVE a man a fish...and teach the kids too! (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=84543)

Petra 05-21-2009 09:18 PM

GIVE a man a fish...and teach the kids too!

I'm curious to know how many spearos would be willing to donate fish to a soup kitchen/food bank at the next SpearWars tournament in July?

I've made contact with a young man named Lucas who has started a fishing school of sorts for underpriviledge kids in Boca. He teaches them about conservation, responsible fishing, casting nets, ecology, the importance of protecting and sustaining the evironment, etc. He designed a web site and you can see pictures of him interacting with and teaching the kids, etc.

Check out this quote from his web site about how he founded Fishing for Families In Need www.f4fn.webs.com

"My impetus for initiating this program came from my yearly volunteer work on a family farm in the Bahamas. I stay and work with a family that uses natural resources to provide and make an income. We pick mangoes on a 70-acre farm for distribution and fish for food and income for the farm families. I have learned the importance of conservation and fishing responsibly to secure fish and marine life populations for the future and to benefit the environment. I also realized that in the states this high protein source is unavailable to low-income families and the soup kitchens said they could never offer it. Fish is now a rich man’s food and needs to be shared as was intended. I can't make one fish feed the multitudes but I can do my part in making it more available to those who need it most!"

Lucas also uses his own money that he earns from being a soccer ref to buy some of the necessary tools he needs to teach his kids; i.e., rods/reels, tackle boxes, etc. By the way, did I mention that Lucas is 16?!?

Interestingly, I spoke with Lucas' mother this morning (when I called, he was in school...duh) and she told me that her son had explained that Rob Murphy was the first person who showed any interest in helping him with his fish donation concept. Apparently they'd been communicating around the end of 2008. In fact, Lucas had driven up from Boca to meet with Rob at the end of our day of diving on January 9, 2009. Needless to say, Lucas was horrified to learn the reason why Rob never called that day.

After the SBO Blue Storm Classic weigh-in this past Sunday, I decided it was time to rekindle that flame!

Also, if you're interested, Lucas was interviewed about his efforts with Fishing for Families in Need and it will be broadcast on WXEL this weekend.
The show airs on Sundays from 11am - noon on 90.7 FM, and re-airs Mondays from 7- 8 pm on 90.7FM.

http://wxel.org/programming/flaforum.php

WXEL streams LIVE on the Internet so even those outside the normal listening area of Southern Broward County to Vero Beach, can listen. Click on the “Listen Live” button at the time of the broadcasts.

Lucas has asked me how many coolers he would need to have at the weigh-in at Riveria Beach, so if you think you'd be interested in donating, please let me know. Obviously, if there's no interest, I wouldn't want to waste his time.

Thanks! :thumps:

P.S. Doncha just love this stuff!?

msilva2467 05-21-2009 09:46 PM

Re: GIVE a man a fish...and teach the kids too!

This is a really cool thing you are trying to do!! Good luck!!:thumps:

PrincessSlaya! 05-22-2009 07:29 AM

I will be more than happy to donate to this cause! Bring on the coolers! :) WTG

biggsy 05-22-2009 08:29 AM

I would donate some fish as well and the weigh-in team will help in any way possible.

He may want to get a hold of a local fishmonger and see if they could work out a deal to get the fish picked up. That might be easier than trying to secure a bunch of coolers and even transporting them after the fact.

Love the idea! :up:

Petra 05-22-2009 08:32 AM

What's a fishmonger?

biggsy 05-22-2009 08:36 AM

The kingfish tournament where I do the weigh-in used one. All of the fish was being donated to Hope Hospice was picked up by a fishmonger, cleaned and then given to Hope Hospice.

I believe they are usually employed by the commercial fish houses and can do anything from transport to cleaning and prepping the fish. I am not sure on all of the details other than I have seen other tournaments do it in the past.

headhunter561 05-22-2009 09:06 AM

this is awesome Lisa, I am so glad you are picking up where I left off. I didn't realize Lucas was so young, what an incredible young man!!

Hat-Nasty 06-03-2009 07:34 AM

I will def donate if you have a food bank present at the PBO.

LunkerBuster 06-03-2009 12:11 PM

that is pretty awesome..what an amazing person..

I will not be at that tourney, but I wouldn't mind knowing of a place where regular fish could be donated as well. I always stop myself from shooting at the end of a dive because I know I won't eat anymore, I would love to have a place to donate a fish or more from each dive.

dive4bugz 06-04-2009 08:16 PM

Lisa, definitely count me in!!! I will be working the weigh-in line, so all you shooters better not complain if you "misplace" a fish or two (After you get the points, of course!!!) LOL This is a great idea, an awesome concept, and my hat is off to you, and Lucas, and everyone else who has and will step up to do their part.

smilinmatt 06-05-2009 08:47 PM

I'll donate all my fish, not just the amberjack. :D

Amphibious 06-13-2009 07:17 AM

What a great idea. My congratulations to Lucas for helping others. He is an inspiration to other youth!!!

nailman 07-06-2009 06:50 PM

Team KUDANA will be glad to donate some fish! Tell Hunter my girls keep asking if he will be at the weighin but they will be in Kentucky visiting grandma!

Petra 10-14-2009 08:45 PM

I'm trying to help Lucas get an idea on the amount of contribution he can hope for at the Blue Storm in Key Largo. He's planning to be there to pick up (and filet) your donated catch.

Chime in, please, if you're willing to turn over some of your fish. Who can't spare ONE snapper? ONE hogfish? ONE trigger? ONE grouper? C'mon, y'all, it's for a good cause. In these hard economic times even YOU can help give to your fellow man WITHOUT having to open your wallet!

Let's hear it!?!

headhunter561 10-14-2009 08:57 PM

I will donate the majority of my fish to Lucas, and I am really looking forward to meeting him in person! Now how much fish that ends up being.... remains to be see.