Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   High Pressure Float Questions (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=198630)

Mana'squal 04-17-2019 08:21 AM

High Pressure Float Questions

I am trying to prep for my trip to AK in August. I plan on taking some time to do drifts over areas frequented by Halibut and I don't want to lose my new gun or my life to one of these fish.

What size high pressure float would be appropriate for fish under 100#'s?

I am not chasing barn doors here. I just want to get one on the spear while I'm there and don't want to have to pass on fish for lack of gear.

If anyone has any insight I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

Alec 04-17-2019 08:55 AM

Re: High Pressure Float Questions

This will do the trick, https://benthicoceansports.com/produ...ics-3atm-float
No real need to go bigger but if you did the 30L is a cheaper version of the riffe 3atm besides a thing or two

Mana'squal 04-17-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alec (Post 2185243)
This will do the trick, https://benthicoceansports.com/produ...ics-3atm-float
No real need to go bigger but if you did the 30L is a cheaper version of the riffe 3atm besides a thing or two

Awesome, Mako has a cheaper one with a dive flag, any reason not to use Dans?

jfjf 04-17-2019 10:25 AM

Something to consider is the depth and any crazy currents. If you assume the depth is uniform and the fish can not swim to a much deeper depths and there are no reefs or wrecks to snag a floatline and the currents are not crazy strong, then you float should stay on the surface if your line is long enough. So even if a fish is strong enough to sprint and pull a float down for a short time, he can not really do it for long.

The mako hp float with flag is very tough and I would be comfortable try to target a 100
Lb fish with it.

Mana'squal 04-17-2019 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfjf (Post 2185246)
Something to consider is the depth and any crazy currents. If you assume the depth is uniform and the fish can not swim to a much deeper depths and there are no reefs or wrecks to snag a floatline and the currents are not crazy strong, then you float should stay on the surface if your line is long enough. So even if a fish is strong enough to sprint and pull a float down for a short time, he can not really do it for long.

The mako hp float with flag is very tough and I would be comfortable try to target a 100
Lb fish with it.

Thanks Bud. I checked the topography and it looks free of most structure and the depth only reaches 100ft well outside of where I plan on drifting. I figure a 75ft float maybe even a 50ft float would be adequate.Attachment 242159

Mana'squal 05-03-2019 11:31 AM

I ended up getting the Mako 15L high pressure float when it was on sale last week.

Only cost about $100.00 and includes a dive flag and weight. Construction looks very sound, but i am out of my element using breakaway rigging.

Anyone have any suggestions for what length float line i should use?

Water depth will be sub 50ft, fish could potentially run to places about 100' deep, but it doesn't seem terribly likely.

jfjf 05-03-2019 08:50 PM

I would think a 100 ft floatline should work. I have never shot a halibut, but it is my suspicion from shooting a lot of flounders etc. That that type of fish is going to settle back to the bottom rather than take off for open water like a pelagic fish. Hopefully you can get some advice from someone who has actually landed these fish.

Mana'squal 05-08-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfjf (Post 2185879)
I would think a 100 ft floatline should work. I have never shot a halibut, but it is my suspicion from shooting a lot of flounders etc. That that type of fish is going to settle back to the bottom rather than take off for open water like a pelagic fish. Hopefully you can get some advice from someone who has actually landed these fish.

I've been trying to get someone who has targeted these. There's only one person on Youtube and I reached out for advise.

Doesn't look like a terribly hard fish to target, just drift the current in their habitat and hope for the best.

Going to bring 2 guns, spare shafts and turn whatever i'm fortunate enough to hit into a pin cushion or a knife sheath.

Marco 05-08-2019 01:57 PM

You should be good with 75' and a 3' bungee. That float should stop the hallibut.

jfjf 05-08-2019 03:59 PM

The length of the floatline is also a function of current. You can get away with a short line in zero current, but in strong currents a longer floatline will be appreciated. A general comment, not sure if it is applicable to your situation.