Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   California Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Spearfishing 1 Big Sheephead (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=186198)

AdventureManDan 11-01-2015 11:35 PM

Spearfishing 1 Big Sheephead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uaki...ature=youtu.be

Whole video is all done on one breath. Enjoy and please subscribe.

Also I am always looking for new spearfishing buddies in San Diego and for when I dive Baja, PM me.

beachbumkc 11-02-2015 12:02 AM

Re: Spearfishing 1 Big Sheephead

Wow great video , how deep was that 60ft?

AdventureManDan 11-02-2015 12:47 AM

Thank you, at first it was 60' then I moved to 70' where I took the shot.

Trimbandit 11-02-2015 12:28 PM

How much did it weigh?

AdventureManDan 11-02-2015 01:04 PM

A DFW weighted it on the shore at just under 20lb without the gutz.

SeaWolf83 11-02-2015 01:16 PM

One to your left looked nice before you took the shot as well. Nice job.

AdventureManDan 11-02-2015 03:26 PM

That is what I love about spearfishing, picking the one out of the many. There was also another hog on the right.

"Yard-Sale Josh" 11-02-2015 09:24 PM

Excellent diving! Only a handful of people on this coast can actually punch a dive that deep then have the presence to place the shot perfectly and retrieve the catch on the same drop. 9/10 clip. Woulda been a perfect 10 if you weren't so desperate to get back to the surface :D

Also to everyone here in CA claiming to shoot fish this deep or even close to this deep take a look at this chart:
http://www.photobiology.info/Chalker...files/Fig5.jpg
Notice how his bright yellow weights are a green and no longer a yellow when he goes to retrieve the fish on the bottom? Yeah thats what happens at 70ft.

Dan you should give the PCC's and the sturghill a shot next year dude and see how you do!

AdventureManDan 11-02-2015 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" (Post 2078107)
Excellent diving! Only a handful of people on this coast can actually punch a dive that deep then have the presence to place the shot perfectly and retrieve the catch on the same drop. 9/10 clip. Woulda been a perfect 10 if you weren't so desperate to get back to the surface :D

Also to everyone here in CA claiming to shoot fish this deep or even close to this deep take a look at this chart:
http://www.photobiology.info/Chalker...files/Fig5.jpg
Notice how his bright yellow weights are a green and no longer a yellow when he goes to retrieve the fish on the bottom? Yeah thats what happens at 70ft.

Dan you should give the PCC's and the sturghill a shot next year dude and see how you do!

Thank you Kyle I appreciate that. And your givin me something to work on now! :D I have not been in a competition yet, but it is on my to-do list. Right now I am preping for Baja trips and come mid January I am going on an around the world spearfishing trip.

I really like the chart, now spearfishing will be apart of "Sports Science"! lol

I've got enough footage for only two more videos that I need to make right now. But thankfully I am going down south to get some more!

Clayton1208 11-03-2015 11:55 PM

Wow great vid man! I really enjoy your camera control and nice fish at serious depths like that. Keep the vids coming!!!!

Ren 11-04-2015 12:32 AM

Pretty amazing stuff. I watched the video again and did notice the color of his suit, weights, and the water completely change color. Is it normal for the first 10-15" to be crystal clear and the bottom to be a little murky? I'm wondering if tidal coefficients have a play in how murky it is at the bottom..

AdventureManDan 11-04-2015 12:43 AM

Thank you Clayton, will do.

Water vis can be good or/and bad at all different depths. All due to different reasons. Many times it is murky on the bottom due to wind and clear on the bottom. It all depends on the location you are in, the environment(sandy bottom, rocky bottom ect.). But many times if you are in an area near the shore and shallow the bottom will be murky due to the tides, currents and waves.

Benny 11-04-2015 02:28 AM

Beast dive dude. You spent a good amount of time at depth and covered some ground, a well earned fish. Love the camera angle coming up too, really puts into perspective how much it takes to come up from that kind of depth. Those first 5-8 kicks when you turned to surface must have felt like you had concrete fins

Zenon 11-04-2015 07:52 AM

I could feel the burn and numbing legs on the way up watching that. I would have dropped that fish after the first couple of kicks with resistance. .....hell, I never would have retrieved the fish on that same dive either! lol

Impressive.
How did you feel when you hit the surface?

AdventureManDan 11-04-2015 08:26 AM

Haha thanks guys. Yea it was hard as hell on the way up. When I hit the surface I was a little more than relived. This clip is pretty old, at the time I was just getting into filming while spearfishing. When I hit the surface I was just happy that my camera was on and had recorded everything.

Posting another video in a minute with the same style of shooting.

Going down to Baja tomorrow or the next day, look for more footage to follow!