View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 06:31 AM   #21
kwyoungspear

Re: Who went out for Hogfish, any thoughts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
So that info would mean that the grouper closure is happening too early by you.
Not quite. A lot of blacks begin to spawn in late December (depending on water temp but that is just one of my theories). However I would say that the amount of females with roe is far less in late December than early May. So i guess I wouldn’t say it’s too early for the closure, but not as crucial as it as early May.

I just think that they should move back the opening day of Grouper season by 2 weeks or something, maybe even base it off of moon phases? Maybe give 2 weeks back in January and take 2 weeks in may?

The problem with that is that some scientist would have to admit that they didn’t know exactly what they were doing when they implemented this amendment they just thought the first of the month was conveient date for a new holiday.

From what I’ve read, it seems that most of the studies on grouper spawning has been done in Belieze, Gladden spit I’m pretty sure? Lol MOTE published an article in 2016 about how they identified the first black grouper spawning site in the US even though commercial fisherman could have told you that in the 1970s.

The grouper closure has definitely helped grouper population, I just think it could go a step further to make the 4 month wait worth its while.