View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Straits

Straits Cray Gun Build

Hi all,

Building my first gun and hoping the collective wisdom here can help guide me through it. Thanks in advance.

Workshop is coming together. Tools/equipment include: thicknesser, drill press, router, router table, table saw, chisels, hand saws.

I've got 4 x lumps of merbau (kwila) wood that are 90mmx90mmx600mm. The blocks float in fresh with approx 20% above water, without any parts attached. From another thread on this topic I understand this short gun won't float, but as it's a cray gun this isn't an issue.

I'm hoping I can ask questions in this thread and continue to add to those questions as I go through the build.

Gun plan:
Shaft: 600mm length, 7mm diameter, short flopper 25mm from point, aiming for shortest overhang possible. Square cut Riffe style with 2 x shark fin tabs.
Band: single 14mm small ID.
Components:Neptonics reef trigger mechanism, handle undecided at this stage.
Barrel: open track, 550mm from butt to tip, see question below about volume/dimensions.

Questions:
1) How much space do I need behind this trigger mech to the butt of the gun? I'll keep this minimal, and loading will be off the chest, with wooden butt square and clean.
2) How wide should the gun be but still fit the trigger mech with enough wood on both sides? Neptonics lists width as 12.5mm (0.5 inch). I'd like the gun to be bulky and solid so was thinking 40mm width.
3) How deep should the gun be? Neptonics lists height as 25mm (1inch), and I expect it to sit flush with the top of the gun so only the shark fins are above the top surface. How much wood is required beneath this to allow handle attached and trigger protrusion? I was thinking of 50mm, but just guessing here.

Thanks again.
Straits.
Straits is offline   Reply With Quote