View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #46
Bulit7

Re: How deep on air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diligaf View Post
Built & Mike… this is a very entertaining thread! I’ve been LMAO going through the post.

On the serious side… I understand where you both are coming from and it is an argument that has been going on for years in our sport. Back in the day, before formal tech training or when tech training was in its infancy, divers simply went deeper, on air, in quest of bigger fish with no formal training. Divers learned from one another and were a close-knit group… even with their competitors.

A few died. Some of the names on the list posted by jadairiii died on the wrecks off Pompano. There is one common denominator of the ones on that list that I knew… it was there own personal choice. They loved diving, they loved spearfishing, and it was worth the risk to them.

Today… tech diving technique, procedure, and training have come a long ways. What can be learned in a course with the right instructor is invaluable and perhaps one day life saving. Not only to the student, but the knowledge past on by the student to his dive buddies and friends might one day help them.

Even with training, people will still die. I see a few people out there today, with all the proper training & cards doing technical spearfishing and I just cringe. I say to myself “it’s not a matter of if they are going to die… it is a matter of when”.

Built – I won’t say go get the proper training, even though it is the best thing to do. You are in good shape and a good diver. That puts you ahead of most. If you are going to dive deep air, my recommendation would be – remember things happen quicker the deeper you go, have good well maintained redundant gear (I would not dive a single w/pony past 200’ for the type of diving in this area), never give up in a bad situation, accept the situation for what it is – do not panic, and always keep in mind… worst-case scenario… drowning is not such a bad way to go.
Diligaf, Thanks for an informative post. I started this thread for exactly the kind of info that you posted. I am looking for advice and insight into deeper diving. I have no interest in diving trimix and such. Just maybe some deep bounces with the gear and ability to execute deco if necessary. Maybe I'm wrong but the gain in bottom time versus the time in deco is probably not worth it. The problem arrises if in a deep bounce, you happen to shoot "that fish" and all shit hits the fan. Then it is important to meet your deco obligation and have a high O2 mix to reduce deco time.
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote