View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #55
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Re: Zeagle Regulator Blows at 180 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
Glad you bad a good outcome, that's one of he reasons I buy a new reg every year or 2.Rebuilds at most shops are done by guys I wouldn't take diving much less trust with my life.
Not to mention it's not significantly more expensive to buy new.

Some great second guessing going on over on Scuba board on a thread about you.
Good advice!

I usually get mine serviced every 8 to 9 years, not because there seems to be anything wrong with them, it just feels like the right thing to do. Anyway, only problems I've ever had was right after servicing. First time was a Poseidon Odin: first stage failure towards the end of a 100' dive. Air was coming out the 2nd stage so fast I did run out at about 15' from the surface. It motivated me to invest in a pony rig - have not dove without it since.

Second time was recently, nothing dramatic, but aggravating none the less. Bought a Zeagle brand new in 2008, still working fine, but figured the O-rings are probably getting tired, so had it rebuilt. First time out the 2nd stage freeflowed after one breath. Turned off tank, turned tank back on, and freeflowed after one breath. Dive shop re-adjusted 2nd stage seat - seemed OK, so went offshore again, and started freeflowing again after 1st drop. I had downloaded the service manual a couple of years ago, so followed Zeagle's directions and adjusted seat myself. Have not been diving at depth to test it, but works fine with no freeflows in the pool.

Instead of servicing it again 8 or 9 years from now, I think I'll just replace it

Jim, glad you made it back! That had to be an uncomfortable experience!

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote