View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
Bob Ballew

Re: Fire on the Conception

...Updated info shows it to be a massive propane explosion that blew the galley up, trapping the divers below and so intense, the crew members in the forward uptop area could only jump off into the water..They were possibly awake at the time, which probably saved their lives if true..Eight bodies recovered so far...appears to be a total wipeout of the 28 passengers..At present, the 75' boat has sank except for the bow showing above water...Some mention of too many cell phone chargers plugged in as a possible ignition source...I yell at my kids when they leave and don't disconnect their cell phone chargers...cheap Chinese wiring! a short and your home could burn down..
...Another lesson on ocean mishaps if propane was the issue...some boat owners have five to 10 gallon propane tanks on their small boats, a recipe for trouble if there is a mishap...I only carry 2 one quart bottles on board for my stove and replace as needed...Doesn't seem like anything the crew could have done except save themselves..apparently the only exit was the stairway going up into the galley...tough situation to live with as a survivor...
...All rubber type hoses (fuel lines, gas line from fuel cap to fuel tank, gas vent lines, etc, should be replaced every 10 years at minimum and double hose clamps used where possible to increase the safety margin where salt corrosion can occur...The cheap steel clamps at auto stores should be avoided. Buy high grade stainless from West Marine or similar suppliers..
...Even stainless corrodes and needs to be tightened regularly and replaced when substantial corrosion is visible..Over time, engine vibration and hose flexing will cause clamps to become loose, thus the need for regular inspection and tightening...a crack or split in hoses near clamps is not uncommon due to overtightening the clamps or just plain old age...also, offset the slotted clamp screws (by placing clamps opposite each other) so that if salt water drips corrode one screw, it may miss the other, keeping the system secure...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 09-03-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Bob Ballew is online now   Reply With Quote