View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
Jbao

Re: Grunion Munchies, Sharks and Sea Lion Tidbits

this was posted on another forum not too long ago

Quote:
by chris oak » June 22nd, 2019, 6:19 am

fyi I was diving the backside of cat near farnsworth and had a 12 foot gws come up to me. It wasn't a full on speed attack, just a fast cruise to check me out more than likely but the alarming part was it was from below and not a side cruise like the other time. The pix are screen grabs from my video which I will finish later on but just wanted to give a heads up to anyone diving that area. We were the only boat in that area at the time.

The first pix is the shark coming up from the deep, this is why the orientation of the pix was this way. I was on my second drop and leveled off maybe 15-20 feet. The moment I saw it I thought it was going to bite me on the side, I didn't panic and instead swung the gun at it but did not shoot, I'm not sure if this is why it turned away. I was absolutely shocked because of the way it just appeared. Vis was probably 20ish feet and it came out of no where and I was somewhat looking in the direction it came in. It turned when it was maybe 3 feet away. I got to the surface and immediately called out to my buddy to get the fugg out of the water and he jumped on the boat in record time.

It never showed it's dorsal fin on the surface we didn't get back in the water and took off. This was a different gws than the one I saw last year.

Dive safe guys, I have always said that the big gws are increasing around so cal, and it's only a matter of time before someone gets bit. I believe there are probably several gws that are cruising the island at any given time. Dr. Chris Lowe from csulb said that the big gws at guadalupe are chasing away the smaller gws (when I say small I'm talking 12 foot plus, not juveniles) and they are having to find new areas to live. This encounter kind of messed me up mainly because it came from below. We had a very hard time diving after that as the water wasn't particularly clear around the island.