View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #2190
jersymudsniper

Re: Daily Vis report thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
@Jerseymud : my cell phone doesn't work for now...

Fantastic viz last Sunday at Barnegat Inlet. Saw tons of big Togs and Horseshoe crabs or a whitish beige variety of these 'crabs', some mating. I never seen horseshoe crabs there before. Rocks are finally covered in mussels, aka Togs food, but smaller, in my opinion, than last year mussels, perhaps an effect of a longer cold season ?
I didn't even shoot at the Togs, some where females with a full belly of eggs.

Anyways, I didn't go to see mussels, but you know what. But I didn't see much of it until just after slack. I entered water during high tide flow at 11AM and stayed all the way to slack at 2PM. And then I saw it. A huge Striped Bass, quite deep around 28ft as far as my ears could say, the biggest Bass I ever saw. It was alone, not in a school and moved very slowly counter tide (going to the bay) . I had several seconds to shoot when it was no more than 10 ft from me, I aimed but sort of panicked and disengaged the safe only half way, then shoot with the safe on. Anyways I felt like the gun was half jammed. When I finally shoot, it was just a ghost and that would have been a lucky shot. So I missed and that was it. Karma I guess. The battery in my camera was long dead to record that, but with the good viz i'll still make a movie of the other things with nice colors even at depth.

I guess we can expect 2 or 3 weeks more of good viz at BI and that'll be it.
A speargun safety is kinda pointless. It isnt anymore safe with it on. It can still go off. Most guys myself includeing remove them. Lots of shot opps lost in low vis water where you only have seconds to shoot. And im glad you didnt shoot at the tog. TOG SEASON IS CLOSED.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote