View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #9
zackistre

Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Basically anybody that wants to stay in touch with home over 40 miles offshore which in the gulf happens to a lot of us. Needs a satellite text or cell. Vhfs will rarely reach past that if no boats are closer. Epirbs are really only supposed to be used for real emergencies. Ex. Boat going down someone in critical condition, diver lost at sea etc.

I own a inreach and carry it with me offshore always. It has saved our ass when a vhf wouldn't reach anyone. We were able to use it to get my wife to give seatow our location and come get us. Also you can set 3 present texts to send to friends, wife and kids saying everythings is ok, heading in, running behind whatever you want. These are free unlimited sending with basic plan. Also if your crazy busy with work or have anybody with any medical emergencies onboard or home you can text back and forth with it linked to your phone from 100+miles offshore. I rarely use mine except for sending a preset saying everything is good and we are heading in. It is always on so I can know if anything happens to my kids or family through my wife. Great to have and heck of a lot cheaper than most satellite phones or plans
zackistre is offline   Reply With Quote