View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #56
orcawealth

Re: Advice on spearfishing alone

Ive owned the frv and have used it extensively over the last 8 months. One of the things that is left out of the conversation on the vest is that you preset when it's going to take you to the surface BEFORE you make your dives for the day. So, this takes out of the equation seeing that hogfish when you are at your limit and pushing to get it. If you do your going to pay the price of the vest inflating. As users know its a drag when you have to get out of the water re-pack the vest and repressure the bottle. It makes you stick to your predetermined dive times regardless of the size of the fish you see. Happened to me over the weekend I only want to be down a minute so i set the frv to 1:10(little bit if wiggle room) got caught up chasing something and then comes the sound you hate to hear the rush of air inflating the vest. Most freedive spearfishermman I have met are type a competitive people and the vest keeps us in check. Not to sound like a commercial for the vest but if you feel you have to dive alone get the vest.
orcawealth is offline   Reply With Quote