View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 12:33 AM   #3
snowstopsspears
Podvodny Okhotnik

Re: Anyone been to San Salvador, Bahamas?

Ed -

The diving there is spectacular. You mentioned sharks eating the YF? I had the same experience while doing some fishing on a boat off something that the mates referred to as the "shark factory." We weren't cranking to pull in the yellowfin - we were cranking to keep from pulling in only the heads of the yellowfin. That said, it was still an absolute blast. We were on YF, big dolphin, and wahoo almost constantly. I was beginning to freedive at that point and can recall the first (and only) time that I saw a wahoo in the open water (of course, I was gunless).

As for the "no trigger" rule, I'm pretty sure that it applies in SS, too. I remember being harped on about the "no gun" rule in the Bahamas, only to come across a few locals who were working the reefs pretty hard with trigger-equipped instruments. Go figure. Enforcement is selective in the southeastern bahamas, perhaps?

I think that there are two hotels on the island: a ClubMed and a diving-oriented hotel that's called . . . for the life of me I cannot recall the name. The something "rock." I think. Don't take my word on that. Unlike jfjfjjfj, I did see sharks while diving. I also went out one night on a kayak with a local to sneak in a little diving and we also saw sharks. Big sharks.

Good luck with your trip.

Andrew
snowstopsspears is offline   Reply With Quote