View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #56
Bill McIntyre

Re: The freediver's safety vest--IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY.
I think any solo freediver (for all intents any freedive spearo and some rec freedivers) of any age who has anyone that loves them should wear one. Years ago I would not have bothered, but as I get older I realise the pain others would go through if I died.
Priority gear in my mind.
Peace,
Erik Y.
That really nails it Eric. Its not me, but others that should make me spring for this thing if it becomes available. That was driven home to me when I saw what I, along with his family, had to endure when my friend died. It was really shitty trying to do CPR in a bouncing open boat while vile tasting foam came out of his mouth with every compression. It was really shitty trying to get up the courage to call his wife to let her know she was a single mother of 5 kids. It was really shitty having to stay in Mexico an extra couple of days to get him cremated and then bring him home in a box as carry-on luggage and deliver the box to his wife. It wasn't long before I went from feeling sorry for him to being mad at him for what he was putting us through. He had no more worries, and we had plenty.

I suspect that it will be hard for me to make myself buy one of these things and then wear it all the time, but what I should keep in mind is my responsibilities to others.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote