View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 11:18 PM   #4
spearq8

Re: How much power do bands lose with time ?

I think bands stretch out when they are brand new ... then they stabilize. As for time between shots ... if it does make a difference it is not much. I doubt there will be a big difference if I had waited another half hour. 4 inches of stretch is a lot of stretch ... I have never noticed that ... but then again I never measured before and after. In the end you want your shot on target to not be affected by either impact point or power at impact. This is what I wanted to test here. That is why I used 8 meter test ... I actually did not expect the gun to pass ... but it did quite easily with room to spare. As for temperature ... for sure that would have an affect ... as does the shore hardness of bands from batch to batch. How much ?? Really not sure ... someone else needs to test that.

To store bands the best way is to use a vacuum sealer and put the bands in a freezer. Another great way is to to put a layer of silicone grease all over them and then put them in a zip loc bag with as little air inside as possible. I once went on a spearfishing trip and kept my used bands in this silicone grease method and another set just was on the gun with no protection... came back 2 years later and the silicone greased bands were as fresh as I left them ... while the other band was totally unusable. I heard of people also using Vaseline ... but I would not recommend using that as it might react with the rubber. Best is the silicone grease that is used on "O" rings. And don't worry ... the stuff comes off very easily with just a wipe of a tissue or towel.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote