Thread: Crystal Cove
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
NoobSpearo

Re: Crystal Cove

CC is over rated (but still good). Most all year is a good time to dive in Southern California (It's typically sunny all day, every day). Look up the weather, swells, and tides on surfline. Here's a link

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/...ifornia_46525/

I suggest finding any place with 1-2 ft swells during an incoming tide for safety and good water clarity. There are nearby locations on the right hand side of the page. Some spots have live cameras. How far out and at what depths are you planning to go? I'm just a noob so I don't go out too far unless there's another method of transport (like a kayak or jet ski/boat) in case there's ever that one in a million chance of a shark encounter in more open water.

Lately, the water near Strands Beach has been heavenly clear. Bring all your gear. Most folks use a 5mm suit around here. Generally, if you are looking to spear a "sport" fish, go somewhere with kelp (I suggest some serious transport... like a boat). If you just want to see any fish like perch, access from the shore to places with a little rocky cover is good.

OC Spearos FTW!

PM if you'd possibly like to go out together.

Last edited by NoobSpearo; 10-10-2016 at 08:50 PM.
NoobSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote