View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #48
Bill McIntyre

Re: The freediver's safety vest--IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Fisher
Bill one of the reasons people say they don't see a SWB coming is 'cuz after you actually lose conciousness, you lose some of your short term memory. It's similar to getting a concussion.
Thanks- good point, and it should have occurred to me. Back in 1984 I had a head-on with another bicylist and crushed my helmet as well as bending my top tube. I had a concussion, and after I woke up a few hours later, I had no memory at all of the moments before the collision. The doctors explained that at impact it was still in my short term memory, which dumped, and I would never remember it since it had not been stored in long term memory. I can see how the same would apply to SWB.

Of course I had memory problems after the accident too. The day after, we watched the olympic marathon on TV. I used to run marathons, so it was something of interest to me. About a week later I asked my wife what happened with the men's marathon, and she said "honey, you watched it with me." Oh.

Every since then, if I have trouble remembering something, I wonder if I still have residual damage and am a bit stupider than before. Some of you may wonder that too.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote