View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 08:09 AM   #1
Freedvrjim
straight shooter

Run over by boat last week!

While diving my local inlet area last week a newbie recreational boater ran over my dive float w/flag and wedged the line into his drive. I was using a 35ft line attached to the back of my Mako weight belt while drifting in 15ft of water looking for fluke.
I don't remember hearing the boat coming and it happen so fast all I felt was a yank on my belt which dragged me towards the surface. Fortunately the rubber belt ripped at the buckle latch freeing me of being dragged further as the driver of the boat threw the gear into neutral as he realized what he had done.
When I surfaced and realized what had happened I yelled to the boat who responded "Is that your lobster pot?" Are you Fing kidding me??? This guy has a boat and no idea what a dive flag was. He was also motoring through a 5mph recreational inlet marked by white cans marked no wake! He was with his wife and a very young child (grandchild I guessed) so I held back the screaming and cursing as best I could.
I made him give me a ride back to the beach where I was parked and gave him a lecture and education rather than calling the authorities and filing a report. My wife was on stand up paddle not far away and I did not want her to know and end my diving...
Be safe out there guys, Idiots out number us!
Jimmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 8.44.09 AM.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	227663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 8.44.24 AM.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	227664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 8.40.49 AM.jpg