View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #28
Capt.Gene

Re: Zeagle Regulator Blows at 180 ft

If the clamp ring that compresses the diaphragm is removed the diaphram will not be securely crushed in place by the clamp ring when the reg is reassembled.
The deeper you dive the more likely a reused diaphram is to get loose from under the clamping ring. Especially if the reg is not pressurized before the clamp ring is tightened.
Apecks and Zeagle diaphragms look the same but are different hardness and are not interchangeable. One is black and the other gray. I don't remember which is which. I'm retired.
When I was servicing problem regulators returned to Zeagle in Zephyrhills by other dealers, it was not uncommon to find air volume pushing up from under the diaphram, bulging up the center of the diaphram, reused diaphragms or incorrect diaphragms installed in Zeagle regs.
The big problem with a hobbyist servicing his own gear is he doesn't know what he doesn't know. Correctly trained experienced service technicians with the right tools and correct parts get no respect.
The service interval recommendations on those diaphram regulators used to be one year I believe.