View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #45
KillaB27

Re: Have you speared another spearo?

I'll fess up and say yes, I have possibly speared another spearo, but it was an absolute fluke thing. We were diving as a group of four on some army tanks and my dive buddy and I went to one tank while the other pair went to another tank. My dive buddy was behind me when I looked under the tank and saw several grouper stacked up. I backed out, looked at my buddy and signaled that I was going to shoot under the tank. The tank was buried somewhat and to look under it, you had to lay on the sand in somewhat of a trench to see under it. I looked under again and shot at a grouper and later found out in the dive that the other divers had got mixed up and went to the other side of the tank we were on and one of them looked under the tank as I shot.

We still aren't sure if my spear or a fish hit him, but something struck his left BC strap with force. My spearing rig had about 20-25' of range with how I shot the fish and the tank was about 25' feet long. Spearo was fine and there was no penetration. We will never know what happened, but definitely was a lesson for us all.