View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #74
bmoore
NAUI Inst Cave Trimix

Re: Rebreather's Will Kill You

Diving a rebreather is like any other type of diving. It can be done safely or dangerously.

The majority of statistics quoted were "pilot" error. People forgetting to cut the unit on...forgetting to turn on on the 02 bottle. I read where one guy died and they found out he was stoned...(smoking pot) before entering the water. He may have been the one that forgot to turn on his 02 bottle. Darwinism at its finest.

i have had a close call myself..didnt change out the scrubbing material prior to diving. Rebreathed C02 at 210 feet. Bailed out...lesson learned. We learn by failures..not successes. (That is assuming we survive) I changed my behavior..Fresh scrubbing material put in before each days diving. I "learned". Since then no problems whatsoever. Could the thing fail on me? Sure...could lightening strike me from the heavens? Absolutely. Can helldivers make 200+ foot dives on air with a single 80? They do it all the time. Some for years.

Stating using a particular piece of gear will kill you is just not realistic. My particular rebreather runs through 55 separate tests..takes over three minutes, before it will even cut on and let you use it. If it fails one..its a no go and Im diving open circuit.

Rebreathers are not for everyone. It takes discipline and a commitment to use the things safely. But the advantages outweigh the risks in my opinion.

"What do we say to the god of death? Not today..."

Last edited by bmoore; 07-03-2019 at 09:44 AM.
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote