Thread: Goliath Rodeo
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #20
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Re: Goliath Rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Perhaps some time in the future I can take you guys out with me, or I can go out on your boat, and we can swap some strategies and help each other out. Maybe it is luck, maybe it is Maybelline - but the Jewfish and I have an understanding.
The goliaths on the ledges we prefer to dive are way different than the ones that hang around the public reefs and wrecks. Those guys are conditioned to see a struggling fish and slam it.

The ledge goliaths are much much slower to connect the whole struggling fish thing with "dinner".

If you go shoot at one of these places with rabid goliaths, they will make sure you "understand."

But the other points are valid. The dumb oafs don't realize how much brains count for, and we can definitely train them to avoid divers. But they are still fearsomely powerful and should be respected.

In this aspect of their behavior, they are very similar to alligators. Feed them, even accidentally, and they learn to be ready for given food. Teach them to fear "man", and they withdraw respectfully. Like the 8-footer that lived on the *other side* of my pond, once she learned