View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #26
Behslayer

Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

I have been diving alone 9O% of the time for the past 2O years.

Most of the diving I do is Aspetto Shore diving.. sleeping on the reef in 3Oft or less of water waiting for snapper. If there is a buddy within a 5Oft radius above you.. the Snapper do not show up..

The other 1O% of the time, when I have a buddy and we know are are diving deeper and in currents, I still expect that I'm alone. If I know that I'm going to make a particularly deep dive, or stay down longer, I will actively grab my partner by the shoulder and let them know that I'm doing this, and that my floatline is attached to my belt.. since I'm using a Big Reel.

I don't push it. I'm not making 3-4 minute stays.. rather 2 mins, and if the fish shows up, great. if not.. still good. The best advice I could give, having lost many friends to SWB, is not to get fixated on a goal.. ie a fish, a time, a depth. Each day your body is different. Dive well within your limits.

Deeper diving, ie anything over 5Oft, can be very dangerous. Don't over weight. Buddy up.. But, really, a buddy is only going to help you if they are completely vigilant. Don't push your limits thinking your buddy is watching.. he might not be. If you need to make a particularly taxing dive, ie to retrieve a fish, etc. tie a floatline to your belt and use a reel.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote