View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #50
Smash
Monterey Bay Triton

Re: Octopus, or no Octopus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
i'm just debating whether or not to buy one.. I already have two pony tanks and an 80cf tank.
Hey Arisaka99,
I’m a bit shocked by the results of this poll. If you are scuba diving you should have an alternate second stage. As an earlier post pointed out, it’s the cheapest insurance you’ll ever buy. As a central and northern California diver I can say with confidence that the argument against an alternate air source because of low vis, strong current, or entanglement is just a bunch of bunk. That’s like saying you shouldn’t have brakes on your car because you might hit them at the wrong monument and cause yourself to skid out of control. Even a solo diver should have one as a backup in case of the highly unlikely event that your primary second stage were have a failure. A better question would be, should I use an octopus or an alternate air source built into my inflator. As a scuba instructor for 16 years, diving in low vis, high current, and kelp forest I can tell you that there is almost no difference between the two options. In an out of air emergency an octopus is better. However I personal like the built into the inflator style best. It’s just a bit more stream lined. I’m assuming that you might be a relatively new diver so I’d like to give you some advice. Bad things happen to good people, and there are divers killed every year because they didn’t follow safe diving protocols. They may have been diving like this for years and never had a problem, but remember just because you got away with something over and over that doesn’t mean it’s safe. It just means you've been lucky, so far. Do it right all the time and then you’ll be prepared when that bad thing happens. If you’re diving solo then a pony is the way to go. But if you’re new to this sport you have no business diving solo. Get a ton of experience before you try that, and remember you’re never as safe solo as you are with a buddy. Hope this is helpful. Have fun and be safe.

VP, Monterey Bay Tritons

Last edited by Smash; 03-30-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Smash is offline   Reply With Quote