Thread: SUP hunting
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #20
Dr.P

Re: SUP hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango Tango View Post
OP, I'm using my first ever post to say you are the freaking man! Holy smokes, my mind is blown! I've been fishing on a longboard style SUP ATX in Tampa Bay for 5 years and have been needing a new one is mine is dinged and had a foot chopped off for repairs. I contemplated getting a race board in order to cover water quickly but worried about storage space and stability for fishing while anchored. I checked out the Live Watersports and Bote boards, they are stable fishing platforms but pretty slow and heavy.

As a fellow hardcore SUP fisherman, I have to stay you have by far the coolest fishing SUP concept I've ever seen. You have motivated me to go check out the Starboard race boards for my new spearing and hook n line board. I can barely squeeze a 12'6" thru my apartment stairwell, so that'd be my hard limit for size. Any recommendations on a 12'6" race style board that can hold a 200 pounder with similar gear? I'd prefer fiberglass as I know how to repair it when I inevitably ding it.
Thanks for the kind words. I realize this is the sort of project that only paddle guys can really appreciate. There has been a lot of tinkering and experimenting along the way, it is certainly a labor of love. Starboard makes a great, low maintenance race SUP, but there are others out there. If 12'6" is the limit, I would definitely look for something thicker and wider. The Starboard ACE is inherently an amazing board for this application, because it is purpose built for the open ocean, and it has massive volume for its size. I chose it for exactly those reasons. Guys use these boards in conditions most people wouldn't take a serious boat out in. And, it is still a competitive shape in flat water. In addition, my carbon 17 footer is less than 30 pounds, so it's easy to handle for its size. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've helped several people set up boards with what I've found works and doesn't through trial and error.
You have an open invitation to paddle out to the reefs with me anytime. I fish the bay 1-2 times per week, but I prefer a buddy when heading into the open ocean.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote